Rigging to a Boom or scissor Lift

Justin W. King

• Premium Member

Generally, I think common practice here is to chain-vice-grip the stands (folded up) to the inside of the rails of the lift basket. 2 clamps per stand with the weight of the stand on the floor. Once the vice grips are good and tight, tape them shut with bright cloth tape. This is based on what I see on most sets I work on; I am not a grip.

What hardware do I need to rent in order to rig 2 2.5 HMIs to a typical boom lift or scissor lift, with a grip helper. Thank you for your help.

If you use stands, they should be steel. Or get a couple of "candlesticks" and chain vice grip them or the stands to the rails. Don't forget a safety cable thru the bails. The stands or sticks should touch the floor of the basket. If they're too short, get some cribbing. Wow, it's been a while but it suddenly came flooding back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you're going to use them on stands, I say you need a few 25lb sand bags and some ratchet straps to secure the stands to the handrail, then the usual safety chains that you would use to secure any large head in an overhead position.

What are you using the sandbags for if you're strapping the stand to the basket?

Rigging to aerial lifts is very serious business, please take it seriously and find out the proper procedures.

Candlesticks with a clamp is the safest way. Chain vise grips will do but if you can use a chesboro it is much better. This hardware can be purchased online. Here is a link that has some candle stick makers, candle sticks and other cool boom lift rigging hardware.