What is the best DSLR for video quality?

Tamoi Lott

• Premium Member

I haven't used the 5D 3 but until that came out the best DSLR for technical quality was probably a Panasonic GH2. It doesn't have the dynamic range of the Canon stuff, but there are far fewer problems with aliasing and compression artifacts.

But yes, if cost doesn't matter, why are you looking at DSLRs at all?

I haven't used the 5D 3 but until that came out the best DSLR for technical quality was probably a Panasonic GH2. It doesn't have the dynamic range of the Canon stuff, but there are far fewer problems with aliasing and compression artifacts.

But yes, if cost doesn't matter, why are you looking at DSLRs at all?

Ahaha fair enough. Thank you

A C300 isn't anything like a stills camera.

Really? Doesn't it have kind of the same form factor?

It also seems kind of based on the same kind of digital EOS imaging technology.

I'm guessing it is very limited in terms of software for taking still tho?

Not seen one in real life!

love

Freya

• 3 months later...

Well, even if you said cost doesn't matter, the Panasonic GH2 is one of the best DSLRs in the market. Even if strictly not a "DSLR" because it doesn't have the mirror or optical viewfinder, it competes with any 5D, 7D and such. It has less aliasing and rolling shutter and has some features that are hard to find in any DSLR, especially at that price, like the ex tele conversion that basically lets you zoom in by x2.6 using a small part of the sensor, without losing light...it also has touch screen and the autofocus system is super fast. And for those of you who say that the MFT sensor size is too small for depth of field, try the GH2 with a f0.95 lens! If you are in Los Angeles and need to rent one, try this camera rental house. They have pretty good prices.

Well, even if you said cost doesn't matter, the Panasonic GH2 is one of the best DSLRs in the market. Even if strictly not a "DSLR" because it doesn't have the mirror or optical viewfinder, it competes with any 5D, 7D and such.

True, although the main fix the DSLR fans seem to be into is an extremely shallow depth of field, although sensitivity is another factor. The price seems to be the key factor in selecting one, since even the cheapest large sensor video cameras now out perform them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

At this point Canon EOS 5D MK III, with Magic Lantern is the first full frame 35mm to shoot RAW,

We are talking about a cheap camera compared to RED or Arri Alexa, and it can store internally the raw file.

Magic Lantern is an open source softaware, and free to download..

Guest Scott Stacy

The Canon 5D Mrk III with Marvel picture profile is my favorite DSLR/profile combo for 24fps video. I used the swear by the CineStyle profile but will never go back after using Marvel. The 5D with Zeiss CP.2 lenses, even Duclos cine modified ZF.2 lenses, make for a pretty darn good camera for internet 1080p viewing. I use this camera all the time for music videos. The 1D-C is great if you have the post power to deal with large files.

Hands down. the Canon 5D Mark III. I can shoot 2.35:1 ratio of 2.5K for about a minute with no problems on my komputerbay 6fgb CF card.

I get continuous 2.2k at 2.35:1

and I get FULL 1080p continuous.

We're talking about a full frame camera shooting RAW with 13 stops of dynamic range.

• Premium Member

The only problem I'd have with it is in fact that full frame thing - focus is going to drive you blind. The problem is precisely that these low cost cameras are very likely to be used on shows that can't afford the time or personnel it takes to hold them in focus. I've hit the problem repeatedly myself. A full frame camera is (exactly) like pulling focus on vistavision, or 5-perf 65mm. It's not easy, and it's worth making clear here so that people don't just go out and buy 5D3s without all the facts.

P

• Premium Member

As mr Rhodes says and I agree with totally. As soon as you get out of "camera tests," into a real production the problems of working with 5Ds, in Raw or not begin to compound. Now, some people may be ok working around them, but if production really wants to get that "canon vDSLR" look, I try to push them to a 7D, or 60D (which is my preference with some nice Leica lenses).

however, in terms of overall quality, GH2 is amazing. I just did some camera tests for a shoot between the GH2 the 60D, the 7D, and the 5D and in every situation (sans low light-- however this shoot will be using IR photography for all night shooting) the GH2 came out looking the best and certainly was the easiest to edit with later on.

The biggest problem with it is finding good lenses to go along on the wide end; but Rokinon seems to have taken care of that a bit.

• 5 weeks later...

1D C is the best in DSLR form factor with its 4K as well as very sharp 1.6 crop 1080p files.

As mr Rhodes says and I agree with totally. As soon as you get out of "camera tests," into a real production the problems of working with 5Ds, in Raw or not begin to compound. Now, some people may be ok working around them, but if production really wants to get that "canon vDSLR" look, I try to push them to a 7D, or 60D (which is my preference with some nice Leica lenses).

however, in terms of overall quality, GH2 is amazing. I just did some camera tests for a shoot between the GH2 the 60D, the 7D, and the 5D and in every situation (sans low light-- however this shoot will be using IR photography for all night shooting) the GH2 came out looking the best and certainly was the easiest to edit with later on.

The biggest problem with it is finding good lenses to go along on the wide end; but Rokinon seems to have taken care of that a bit.

Adrian,

Which camera are you using for the IR part? Keen to know as I am also doing IR for a wildlife project.

Cheers,

Sabyasachi