“2012 IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! JUST THE END OF FILM!”

Moises Perez

• Premium Member

I think there referring to 35mm Cinema distributions will be fully cut off by studios at the end of this year.

Exactly. Camera Original Film will be around for a long time. I can't guarantee all formats but I'd guess at least 10 years for acquisition and also archival films.

-Paul

Film will NEVER die. Not before Northern Korea kill us all, so no need to worry.

Maybe is not a mass consumer medium anymore, which doesn't mean dissapearing. You will see oil painting out of the market much sooner...

By the way, in 2012 most most films are originated on film and NOT digitally. If I were a pro-digital nerd I would be worried :P

For some reason there are many editors out there very interested in trying to spread the idea that "film is dead"... advertisers?

• Premium Member

I think there referring to 35mm Cinema distributions will be fully cut off by studios at the end of this year.

Only in their overactive imaginations.

Even if by some strange oversight this did actually happen in the US, it sure as hell isn't going to happen for the 99% of cinemas that aren't in the US, so what are they going to do? Stop distributing to the rest of the world?

Prints will continue to be made until digital projectors get much, much cheaper and more reliable than they are now. Where and how they will be made is an open question, but it will have to be somewhere. And if prints are available, people in the US will continue to use them.

Oh sure, the distributors have a vested interest in frightening as many cinema operators as they can into making the switch to digital projection, but this has been "just around the corner" for about 15 years now.

• Premium Member

The New York City Kodak sales office is closing and all the employees are being retired or laid-off. The office is "moving" to Panavision and is just a place to pickup film now so Panavision employees will handle that. That's how it's been in Dallas for some time now with Filmworkers acting as a pickup window for Kodak here. Helps avoid shipping charges which is nice but sad to see so many good employees gone.

I did however get several packs of Kodak cocktail napkins and a keychain flashlight with Kodak on it as they were trying to clear out their shelves!