Visible lightrays

Hi everone, I am about to shoot a scene where many small shafts of light are supposed to become visible and I was wondering what is best to use? Smoke, haze or something completely different? I have worked alot with smoke in musicvideos, but I think that smoke is too textured, it's really obvious that it's smoke. I would like the lightrays to look like this shot from Minority Report.

post-57481-0-96560900-1345497314.jpg

Best, Nicklas

Hi everone, I am about to shoot a scene where many small shafts of light are supposed to become visible and I was wondering what is best to use? Smoke, haze or something completely different? I have worked alot with smoke in musicvideos, but I think that smoke is too textured, it's really obvious that it's smoke. I would like the lightrays to look like this shot from Minority Report.

post-57481-0-96560900-1345497314.jpg

Best, Nicklas

That is probably smoke.

The key is just to spread it out in the room, and let it settle a bit.

In my experience hazers tend to work the best because the haze doesn't dissipate as quickly as smoke machines. What I usually do is run the machine in between takes, roll camera and call action when the smoke looks perfect.

I'd say the biggest reason why these rays are so pronounced is the units used outside the windows. They're seemingly larger units with either a fresnel lens or possibly no lens at all, getting the sharpest ray possible. The best haze I've ever seen is in Blade Runner. It's pure atmosphere, stylized yes, but it's not trying to be all that subtle about it.