Adrian Biddle Document

Guest Stephen Murphy

A great look. Loved your document on Cronenweth (big fan of his work) and now Biddle, one my greatest influences (probably second to Dean Cundey) and one of the first cinematographers I liked. Great read, with great quotes. I love Biddle's work with colors and mixing very soft fill with harder "natural" sources to shape the faces. Like him, I like to light night scenes with tungsten, something I do quite a bit. This quote was something that struck me, as it is essentially a way that sums up my way of working:

‎"I find a source of light for each shot and build on that. You get artistic buzz from it, but a lot of times it's just working at it and doing your job."

For me, that's how I think. I work around what the natural sources are, shine light through windows, use walls and ceilings for bounce and similarly to make it all feel natural, then add splices of color from practicals, or a light shining in from another room, a streetlamp outside the window or something else, to create mood and feel.

• Premium Member

Thanks Stephen! Another true artist. There's a real shortage of this kind of documentation and I would guess a reasonable niche market. Would be great if a publisher like Taschen would pick up on the idea and just run with it.

Guest Stephen Murphy

Loved it -- just wish you had covered "1492"...

Would like to have included it but found it really hard to get any decent frame grabs from 1492 - the dvd copy i have doesnt have the best transfer and im not able to frame grab from blu-rays yet which is why ive had to scour the net for blu-ray screenshots. Sorry!

S

Guest Stephen Murphy

So far the laserdisc version is still the best copy of "1492"...

Ah Laserdisc... Now you're showing your age David :-)

• 1 month later...