HELP! looking for new cam: 3ti, gh2, Nex-7 ?

bjoern gromoll

hey guys, I just came across this forum. Awesome community! so much great information :)

I'm looking for a new camera and need some help! And I hopeyou have the patience for this first, loooong post :) Thx!!!

I'm a professional VFX-Artist. And work at daytime on feature-films. At night on my own shorts.

Filming pretty is one point on my list, but not the one and only. I need a camera that fits in my 3D and post pipeline.

I just bought a T3i + Sigma 30mm f/1.4, testing it...

Don't kill me I still have a week to return them If want to.

Currently I have my eye also on the GH2 and NEX-7

My Priority-list:

Must have/be:

-Interchangable lense compatibility (from still cam's)

-1080p 24fps / 720p 60fps

-good lowlight sensitivity (my current setup with t3i+sgima 30mm f/1.4 ISO-800 is grain/artefact free, NICE!)

-portability

-The Filmlook ish..."very shallow depth of Field" (I know this is mainly up to the lens... but wanted to include it)

Nice to have:

-lense compatibility to the Blackmagic and REDscarlet(4k),

-1.6 crop-factor. Same Field of view everywhere. This is my biggest issue with the GH2!

-1080p 60fps

-being able to use a wide variation of lens's, also old ones..Zeis, Leica (have to point out that the compatibility to RED and BM is more important for me)

Not important:

-viewfinder ( I prefer mirror-less)

-Any features regarding still photography

(But I'm not interested in a regular film camera, don't like the look)

RAW format should be also on the list, but the REDscarlet is out of my budget and the Blackmagic can't do 60fps.

Otherwise I would buy the BM without hesitating!

what would you advice me todo?

I'm also wondering why nobody goes crazu about the NEX7, it looks to me just from the specs like a GH2/everything killer!

thx allot for any tips or advice, much apriciated :)

Edited by balubjoern

In my opinion, the best camera in order from better to worse

1.GH2

2.Canon t3i

3.Sony NEX-7

The reason I pick GH2 is because of the ease of use, higher resolution, and more adaptable lenses. Canon comes in second because of lenses. Why do you think the NEX-7 is so good? If you want 60 frames per second then get a DSLR, but I think BCC is the way to go.