35mm Processing in Australia - not easy

Paul Bartok

Hi guys a heads up for folks in Australia, I spoke with Kodak the other week, the National manager said that Village roadshow will be closing there lab in 6 months so that means the only other one will be Deluxe (that I know of) and today I was notified that Kodak is deleting there ECN-2 Chemicals Line as Deluxe makes there own chems. Just thought I'd let people know.

• Premium Member

Hi guys a heads up for folks in Australia, I spoke with Kodak the other week, the National manager said that Village roadshow will be closing there lab in 6 months so that means the only other one will be Deluxe (that I know of)..

Paul, Village has already closed. According to my sources the final straw was a large feature planned for 35mm that switched to digital at the last moment. It's an all too familiar story, everyone but the bean-counters wanted to shoot on film, the bean-counters won.

So Deluxe in Sydney (with Digital Pictures as the post house) is the only local option left. Complete Post have apparently set up a processing deal with Park Road in NZ, otherwise Thailand have very good processing facilities. But basically shooting on film in Australia is a fast dwindling option. :(

• Premium Member

Hi Paul,

apart from labs in Australia, I've found Shaw Bros and Mandarin Film Labs in HK pretty good, PM me if you want contact emails, and

with the exchange rate it works out pretty cheap, I know the tk rate at Shaw was pretty good.

Cheers

We have done processing for feature films that were shot on the other side of the globe (12 hours time difference exactly). Quicktimes can be uploaded via ftp or other electronic means. Never had an issue with shipping by DHL, Fedex with regard to X-rays.

Distance to the lab is no longer an issue.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sent a test roll of expired Fuji to Shaw Bros for processing and telecine, at a " very unbeatable price " :) .. below some screen grabs from the 10bit QT Uncompressed.

Service was great no issues..sent over a small portable firewire 800 drive.

post-1865-0-07553700-1350645666.jpg

post-1865-0-22917500-1350645672.jpg

post-1865-0-94360200-1350645677.jpg

post-1865-0-66687700-1350645686.jpg

post-1865-0-37693500-1350645692.jpg

• 1 month later...

Contact Dominic Case. He is a member of this forum and he can help you.

Sorry - haven't looked at this forum for a while.

Deluxe Sydney is assuring people that they will be offering 35mm neg processing for a while yet, but they are indeed the only option left. Village in Queensland had been borderline for a long time, and Deluxe Melbourne (previously Cinevex) closed at the beginning of this year I believe.

Shipping costs, risk of X-ray, and distance away if anything does go wrong would be the main things to take into account when considering processing in NZ, HK or Belgium (or anywhere else for that matter), but unless you are in Sydney itself and not expecting overnight turnaround, none of those are going to make a big difference wherever you choose.

That said, Village opened up the QUeensland lab on the site that Deluxe had previously vacated, because Queensland DoPs and producers weren't prepared to ship negative to Sydney. Still that was a few years ago. Perhaps shipping is less of a hassle now??

• 4 weeks later...