Feature Film "AIR"

Hi all!

We're currently in production on our first feature-length film, entitled "AIR". It's a modern-day musical set in Lawrence, KS and Kansas City, and we've got a couple still pics up online:

http://throughaglass.com/air/stills/airstills/ian-megan.html

http://throughaglass.com/air/stills/airstills/megan.html

These were taken from our one-light, so there's no color correction. Both of these scenes were shot on 5218, and... I hope you like 'em.

Best,

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy

The trusty old Arri. Saw the behind the scene pictures. Fantastic that you are making it happen!

Tell us more - stage lighting is always difficult (David Mullen's looks great for Akela and the Bee - but the budget!) how did you do yours?

Ahhhh! Trying to get low - wide angle shots on an Arri - My neck muscles always panic when they hear about that shot... but they look good.

How are you doing sound or is it all ADR - since I don't see any blimps.

The stills look great for a one light - nice DOF (I am in love with T2 - as is everyone else) - filters, beauty lights etc

If you don't mind me asking how much is the budget, what is the film length, shooting ratio, etc.

thanks

Rolfe

Thanks for the nice comments Rolfe. The stage lighting that you're referring to (I'm assuming you mean from these behind-the-scenes pics) was the result of finding a great location that worked with us for free. For that part, we used their lights, their light board, and brought in some rented 1ks and 1k softlights to help out when needed.

That scene (a three-minute ballet sequence taking place on the stage) was actually the very first thing we shot, but this movie in general is going to be a huge undertaking, so we decided to jump in head first. We shot in the theater over two days with a crew of twenty people. As the ballet goes on, lights begin falling from the grid above the actress, so we made fake lights out of cardboard and plastic cups and fitted with tiny flashlights and suspended them with fishing line. We then released them in sequence as she danced in front of them. The shot turned out great! You can see our good friend Manuel putting some finishing touches on the fake lights in some of the first few pics.

The budget of the film is about as low as possible for a 35mm feature. We're raising money through private investors, starting at $100, so we've received checks from people all over.

We're shooting everything we can (non-dialogue or easily ADRed) right now with the 2c, and then we'll rent a sync-camera for the longer dialogue scenes... speaking of which, if anyone has a sync-camera available please send me an e-mail and let me know if you'd like to work out a deal, or if you could help us out!

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. Thanks again for the comments!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Your shots look great!

I really want to PA on your film, it looks really exciting. Unfortunately, I live in Arizona and any money I make goes toward my own film ventures.

Tell me when this comes out on DVD. This looks really interesting.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

What I like is the softness. Was it the stocks/lenses you chose? Either way, it really works.

Love the lighting aswell.