Against The Wild

First cut done. Holy smokes that was a long haul. Hang on I'll print the EDL to see how many edits I'm at right now....just wait a second.....1565 edits. Wow.

R,

• Premium Member

First cut done. Holy smokes that was a long haul. Hang on I'll print the EDL to see how many edits I'm at right now....just wait a second.....1565 edits. Wow.

R,

Cool cool cool. Looking forward to this!

Looking forward to more exciting times!

Can't wait. Please just one still!!

And the masses salivate in anticipation...

I'm ready for some images captured by Alexa

Tickets booked, 3D and 48 fps, very much looking forward to it

I'll be going out of my way to watch this as intended, then I'll watch it a couple more times with family.

Where did you learn English? I love it!

Awesome. Thanks for all the updates tonight.

AWESOMENESS!

I can't wait to see the movie. Most anticipated film of the year, after Skyfall of course

It just keeps getting better. Many thanks. And Happy Holidays!

Congratulations on your achievement!

Have a cigar! :)

You Sir are a class act.

The absolute pinnacle of film making!

You realize you're the Steve Jobs of cinema.

Good luck. It's the curse of being good at what you do!

With great success, comes great responsibility.

The old eggs in one basket and sacks of grain during rodent plague analogies spring to mind-

Er, hang, on, I was doing OK up to that point.

But you see, nobody can tell the difference!

• Premium Member

Congrats Richard! Glad to hear you are still getting funding to make features!

I am going to be shooting a feature next year and it will be my first as I've only done shorts. What would be the number 1 piece of advice you can give me that will help me get through it? What would you have liked to have heard/known before you shot your first feature?

Congrats Richard! Glad to hear you are still getting funding to make features!

I am going to be shooting a feature next year and it will be my first as I've only done shorts. What would be the number 1 piece of advice you can give me that will help me get through it? What would you have liked to have heard/known before you shot your first feature?

Your biggest challenge will be filling 90 mins of screen time with edited content.

R,

Your biggest challenge will be filling 90 mins of screen time with edited content.

R,

Heh Heh! That was why Robert Rodriguez used to recommend shooting a lot of slow-mo! It seems counter-intuitive as shooting slow-mo burns up your film stock and so would appear to be expensive but it actually means you can shoot longer running times in a shorter amount of time and it makes it seem more expensive, or at least that used to be the case back when people were shooting on film. ;)

love

Freya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I just want to clarify something here...

That's a real bear standing behind your DOP there right?

Not a stuffed bear or anything?

An actual real bear...

post-4653-0-13804900-1351484311.jpg

Wait... It's a real bear but you keyed him in there right?

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Yes that is the real bear, and no, that is NOT a key. The bear is right behind him in the shot.

All the crew had the same pic done. This is a Canadian movie Freya, that's how we roll in this country!!

R,

Ok here's some more fun.

Top) Barney the bear loves basketball!

Middle) 1st AD Stewart Young gets ready for his picture. Look far screen left, you'll see a red canister on the hip of the lady trainer. That's anti-bear spray. A reminder that even with the best trained large predators on set, you can never be too careful.

Bottom) Stewart and Barney.

R,

post-4653-0-79501400-1364582417_thumb.jpg

post-4653-0-25356600-1364582438_thumb.jpg

post-4653-0-74588600-1364582452_thumb.jpg

Yes that is the real bear, and no, that is NOT a key. The bear is right behind him in the shot.

All the crew had the same pic done. This is a Canadian movie Freya, that's how we roll in this country!!

R,

Havn't you guys heard of Timothy Treadwell! ;)

Gotta say, bar the slightly dodgy aeroplane CGI this film does have a real quality feel about it!

Having a Real life bear in there can't hurt either! :)

Freya

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, I should have mentioned that the cave you see in the trailer, is the very same cave used in Quest For Fire from 1981. For those of you that are fans of that movie. The cave is used quite prominently in my film, and it's the first location you see in Quest For Fire, as well as being the final location when the "guys" return to their tribe.

Fascinating locations hidden away here in Ontario!

R,

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hey Richard,

Congrats on all your success. I see you wrote this one yourself, and I'm curious about your process. Do you bust out all the screenplay cliche' books like "Save the Cat", "Story"... and the rest? Or do you go on your own intuition. I only ask because I'm in the middle of writing something else and I'm a little conflicted on these books.

What do you think?

Thanks

like "Save the Cat", "Story"... and the rest?

Geez what are you a critic for the New York Times or something? :D

Ok yeah, there are a few "tried and proven" animal film classic techniques in this movie. It's not just a question of should they be used, my target audience demands it!!

Yes, the dog is the big hero and saves the kids at every turn from danger. Kids will focus on the dog and they will be most engaged when he has super hero qualities. If every kid doesn't want to own a dog like that after watching the movie, then I didn't do it right, So yeah, check that one off.

And there are other tried and proven animal film cliches, yes. However, I still feel there is enough originality to make the movie unique. Even the location is unique. These films are typically set in mountainous areas. I shot this here in Northern Ontario, which does not have mountains, but it has a number of other aspects that I think make it interesting to look at.

Like the giant lime stone cave that the entire cast and crew could fit into. And was in fact the cave used in Quest For Fire.

R,

post-4653-0-86703700-1371054611_thumb.jpg