CF/Canon DSLR file issues

jose santos

Greetings to all. New here.

I just did an important (aren't they all) shoot for an important (") client, and had two completely different cameras screw the pooch in two completely different ways. The only noticeable common denominator being CF.

I set up a 5d (not II or III) to shoot a time lapse. I tested it the day before, ran a quick test on site, AOK. I fire it off when the event begins and later find it in Error 2 mode. Only one garbled frame. I set it up in another couple spots, ran it just as previously. No probs. Not enough motion blur but that's operator error. As this has never happened to me before, I wonder if any of you have seen it and can help me prevent it in the future.

Principal photography (video) was a 5DII. As you know, the files are numbered sequentially. 0001, 0002, etc. I go to pull this material into FCP and discover a one-file gap. As in 1234, 1236. Oh and it's my most important speaker. Lovely. Anyway, anyone seen this? Fix?

While we're at it, can someone name an excellent video noise reduction filter or whatever for those 5dII files?

Cheers,

JS

which brand compact flash? I would not use Transcend. I am working on a show where all transcend media has been pulled from production due to a plethora of errors. San Disk Extreme Pro work fine. I am surprised to hear that your files are noisy or too much so for your taste. I have always considered 5D footage to be too clean. Neat Video will do wonders to any type of noise, grain.  

As to noise...I may have pushed ISO up too high in an attempt to work in the middle of my F range. I'll take a look at Neat video.

Talked to CPS and they (naturally) think it's the cards. Not saying they're wrong. Prospec 32gb for vid, Promaster 16gb for stills.

Sending both cams in.