Cheap, Small HD Monitor

Daniel Wallens

Hello,

I'm looking for a recommendation for what the cheapest HD monitor would be. Something small (think onboard, roughly 5-7 inches). Doesn't need to be any kind of amazing quality, just something to see an image. Price is probably the most important factor.

Thanks!

You answered your own question Small HD DP6

Ikan and Marshall have a couple of monitors that might work for you.

IKAN:

http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=498

http://www.ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=496

MARSHALL:

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/model/V-LCD651STX-3GSDI.php

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/model/V-LCD70XHB-HDIPT.php

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way being compensated by either Ikan Corp. or Marshall Electronics for recommending their products/service.

A quite modern - not much field-tested, but works (I tried it myself) is to buy an android tablet that is HD ready and has the USB Host Capability. The cheapest one I know that is just below HD is the Idolian Plus; the Google Nexus 7 and others just below $200 come in handy. You will need to install the amazing (and still very unknown to the Cinematography world at large) Android application "DSLR controller". Once I am finished with beta-testing it, I will write a tutorial about it...!

Toby

What about if I took away the requirement of the 4-pin XLR power?

Both companies still have low cost-options.

Haven't used it myself but I heard Small HD are good.

They also have a pretty good selection of options for you to customize your monitor setup as well!

A quite modern - not much field-tested, but works (I tried it myself) is to buy an android tablet that is HD ready and has the USB Host Capability. The cheapest one I know that is just below HD is the Idolian Plus; the Google Nexus 7 and others just below $200 come in handy. You will need to install the amazing (and still very unknown to the Cinematography world at large) Android application "DSLR controller". Once I am finished with beta-testing it, I will write a tutorial about it...!

Toby

That would be an interesting read!!! When do you think you'll be finished with the testing (Not rushing, but I am VERY interested to see how this would work and explore configuration options!!!)

While I haven't used anything else, I'm not a big fan of the SmallHDs.

Image burn in is still an issue even after using the DP4 a lot.

The EVF loupe thing is too heavy so if you have to invert the monitor (and have to have the hinge on the bottom), it swings down.

I wish they had zebra lines, but they said they had no plans to add those. And the false color blacks don't ever seem to be read correctly, and highlights read differently than a histogram I think, so I just don't rely on it for color/exposure.

Focus assist is decent as long as you don't have a grainy high gain camera (so at lower sensitivities it works fine), and I do like that it has multiple backs available so you can use nikon, sony, canon, or AA batteries.. and that there's a D-Tap power cable for it as well. (I got the full DP4-EVF bundle)

@Sean: Will buy a Nexus 7 today, after losing my Idolian tablet on a documentary :D

The Idolian was $100, this one is $200 - only downside is the 15fps output.

@Daniel: Yeah, there's an upside and downside to both ;-)

I used (still have and use) the Liliput 7' monitor. Doesn't have peaking or so, but is a decent monitor for its $250 or so price tag. :)