Fisheye super baltar?

So, been googling for a while and I haven't come upon any information on this. I am planning a shoot on Epic + Super Baltars, until here all good, however the director's asked me for POV and Snorricam shots. This does look like a job for 8mm lenses or wider. Now, as we all now the whole point of this glass is the flares, so I need a fisheye that cuts with them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This job is a step up from me, my first DP feature film credit (even if I'm just the pickups DP!)

Thanks in advance

• Premium Member

So, been googling for a while and I haven't come upon any information on this. I am planning a shoot on Epic + Super Baltars, until here all good, however the director's asked me for POV and Snorricam shots. This does look like a job for 8mm lenses or wider. Now, as we all now the whole point of this glass is the flares, so I need a fisheye that cuts with them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This job is a step up from me, my first DP feature film credit (even if I'm just the pickups DP!)

Thanks in advance

Nothing like that, the wideest was 20mm IIRC, which probably won't fully cover 5K on Epic either IIRC from the tests I did a few months ago!

post-3524-0-89664300-1349292222.jpg

Nothing like that, the wideest was 20mm IIRC, which probably won't fully cover 5K on Epic either IIRC from the tests I did a few months ago!

Thanks Stephen, I feared that would be the answer! I tend to use 5k as a bonus when I need that bit more coverage, preferring the 4k as it keeps the calculations simple and any vignetting fears as far as I can.

I did a bit more research yesterday and I thought one solution would be the usual fisheye adaptor so normal in broadcast. Do you have any experience with these on s35?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Thanks Stephen, I feared that would be the answer! I tend to use 5k as a bonus when I need that bit more coverage, preferring the 4k as it keeps the calculations simple and any vignetting fears as far as I can.

I did a bit more research yesterday and I thought one solution would be the usual fisheye adaptor so normal in broadcast. Do you have any experience with these on s35?

Thanks!

Never tried one. BTW most of the SB's do cover 5K & have a pretty even illumination, better than Zeiss standards.

Never tried one. BTW most of the SB's do cover 5K & have a pretty even illumination, better than Zeiss standards.

Interesting info. The two other reasons why I prefer 4k are encoding ratio (4:1 on 5k vs 3:1 on 4k) and keeping distortion within the normal parameters. However, I just did a short that's 99% Greenscreen with Epic and SuperSpeeds and the key pulled as smoothly in 5k as it did in 4k. I had to go to 5k at times as the studio wasn't deep enough for a LS on 50mm, which made 35mm at 5k the best compromise between distortion and coverage.

Just theorising here, but going back to the adapters, if I find one that extends the coverage and has little or no coatings, it could just leave the SB's flares as they are? Methinks it's test time!

• 1 month later...