Fujifilm ETERNA vivid 5ooT horrible grain.

Hello im a student of cinematography from Colombia.

I have an horrible problem with the grain from this stock. The thing its that i shooted a film with the Fuji Eterna Vivid 500T and everything was well exposed,but when i saw the Telecine... it had grain in everything, even in the overexposed parts, even in the whites 4+ stops above zone V... And i dont understand why, how the heck has grain (big grain) in those zones???

Its damn strange... anyone what could be the probnlem? cinecolor was the responsible of the photographic process, it could be that?? bad process?.

• Premium Member

I have an horrible problem with the grain from this stock. The thing its that i shooted a film with the Fuji Eterna Vivid 500T and everything was well exposed,but when i saw the Telecine... it had grain in everything, even in the overexposed parts, even in the whites 4+ stops above zone V... And i dont understand why, how the heck has grain (big grain) in those zones???

500 Stock has quire a bit more grain than the slower stocks. Older stock that has been exposed to heat and humidity can have more grain than fresh stock. without a frame caprture from your project is it hard to say if your grain is more or less than typical.

• Premium Member

I also find Fuji grainer than Kodak. It depends on how you exposed it-- large areas of low-contrast have a tendency to accentuate grain. I Am assuming it's S16mm-- which is in and of itself grainy. Also; perhaps no one ran grain reduction on the clips yet--- normally they don't get too aggressive with that in the early stages of scanning ect.

I suspect your seeing noise from the telecine as well. What was the transfer machine?

If you overexpose the neg you will increase noise on many telecines.

Spirit DataCine, its good? i will post the frames later, i dont have them, they have a lot of grain in everything, yes, its 16mm.

• 3 weeks later...