on-site hiring?

I'm wondering if this ever happens on a film set? I'm new to the industry. I am interested in working as a grip, I want to be in IATSE 476, but I don't have many contacts in the industry right now. Sometimes I see grip trucks and I kind of just want to go up and ask if they need any help. I put myself on the 476 permit list every week I'm not working (mostly as a PA). Will I get laughed away if I try this? Thanks for the help.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

There's no quick way to the "top", if you want to make it onto a union set- being invited is your best bet. Since you're new to the industry you need to learn all those invaluable skills and lessons that can only come from non-union film work. Where you can take chances and kill actors with incompetence. Indie non-union actors die all the time from falling lights, stunts gone horribly wrong, fights with wild animals- you name it. We just dump them out in the woods and pour lye on them- put another ad on Craigslist and they come running! You can't kill actors on union sets- SAG has rules about it. Non-union films are like parties.

Congratulations- you're new to the industry. Now..it's time to pay your (non-union) dues. Do not show up on a set without permission, professionals are working as they do not have time to hear your frantic pot-induced latte slurping eager beaver leg hump.

Remember, before James Cameron was exploring the Mauritius trench in his private submersible- he was glueing wings on plastic Pirahhas and getting locked out of the editing room by an Italian producer.

Christopher,

Nice post ;)

Although I get the feeling someone with the right words could edge themselves at least a contact through such an approach.

In another world I did.

But what exactly those words are in that context I can't offer any suggestions.

... somewhere between swagger and humble, and yet both at the same time

If you had shown up on my set in Parry Sound Ontario you would of been hired in two seconds! There is a labour shortage of film crew workers in Ontario right now. I don't know how someone can't get hired.

R,

• 2 weeks later...

If you had shown up on my set in Parry Sound Ontario you would of been hired in two seconds! There is a labour shortage of film crew workers in Ontario right now. I don't know how someone can't get hired.

R,

I would have thought that Canada would have lots of filmmakers considering the vancouver film school and all...

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Yes. Canada is a great place to walk onto a film set unannounced seeking film production work . Btw, what the f#$k are you guys talking about?