Nikon G mount lenses (FX FORMAT) for Sony PMW F3L.

Are you sure it's G-mount and not F-mount?

Most nikon lenses should be F mount, the D and G indicators are, basically, older lenses with an aperture ring (D) and newer models without an aperture ring (G).

So as long as it's a standard Nikon lens, which the 70-200 2.8 is, it should be fine, you just won't have control on the lens for the aperture. I have a novoflex adapter which has a little ring built into it that controls the aperture tab without stepping.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes its G,they Say DX/35mm lenses.

DX is what format they cover. DX is the 1.3 crop sensor, FX is full frame. I think on the 35mm there's even slight vignetting on DX (e.g.: D7000), but I haven't used it. I shoot some stills with a D7000, but have never used a DX lens on it.

FX will cover full frame.

You might be ok with a DX lens on the F3, since Super35 is close to a DX 1.3 crop. But not entirely sure.

• Premium Member

But, to reinforce the point previously mentioned, you'll need to invest in a more expensive adapter that will allow you to control the aperture of the G-Series lenses, given that they do not have aperture rings built-in, but rather must be electronically controlled via an external input.

EDIT: And, to add, every Nikon lens from the past 50 years has an F-mount. The G and D series lenses you're referring to are referencing a particular design of the lens, along with AI, AI-S, Pre-AI, along with a whole slew of letters to indicate lens specs. (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount)

I see what you're saying now. Just looked this adapter up

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765130-REG/MTF_Services_Ltd_MTNIKGF3_Nikon_G_to_Sony.html

And I see it says compatible with DX/35mm lenses.

That just means that a lens labeled DX will be ok as well as any of the other lenses for 35mm format. And the adapter will introduce an additional 1.5x crop. And it has the manual aperture adjustment so you'd be good to go.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

All Nikon f-mount lenses ever made (FX, DX and Pre-X) will cover the F3's sensor without issues. You need an adapter for the F3 which will allow aperture control over 'G' lenses, but apart from that the must-have and most useful lenses in the Nikon range (to my mind at least) are the 17-55m f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 - they're fantastic pieces of glass and hugely versatile in terms of the range they cover - to get similar focal-ranges and glass performance from cine-lenses costs a not-so-small fortune.

I'd highly recommend the Optitek Nikon Pro-Lock mount for your F3, it's the most functional and fully-featured Nikon adapter you can get for the F3, and although it's considerably more expensive than the alternatives, it more than makes up for it in the added versatility and ease of use it will provide. It has actual markings for aperture values on G-lenses, and it has a positive locking system (like the standard PL mount) to prevent Nikon lenses from moving or rotating on the lens mount - which could easily save you from nailing a take.

• Upvote 1