Need an honest opinion

Denny Schoute

Hi all,

I´d like to ask for your very honest opinion about my last work. It´s a compilation of my graduation

film. The actual short film is 25 minutes but I made my own version with the shots that I think are my best ones.

At the moment this is as good as it gets, I use it as my cinematography showreel because I don't have something that I think is better. Which might be very depressing if this one is bad.

https://vimeo.com/43497947

It was shot on RED One with Zeiss HS 16mm primes.

Please tell me what you think, if you know something similar, if it reminds you of something, what ever is on

your mind.

Thank you very much,

Dominick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hard not to like it after that scene with the girl! :)

But to critique, I thought your framing was terrific. Some of the lighting was extremely pleasing. I wasn't fond of the color grading TBH. In some scenes it looked overly yellow. Also the DOF was deeper in some subject oriented scenes than I would have liked personally. And the shot with the fellow and the light coming in the window...you blew it out on the window.

With a better medium and better color grading, I'd love to see what you could accomplish.

In overall, I liked it. I see you have a nose for framing and creating atmosphere. I'm also curious if you added lots of artificial light?

As for the reel itself: I would cut it shorter. My opinion is that reels shouldn't really last longer then 3 minutes, especially if the images are all from the same project....