Apple Box US system

andrew ward

Did a show with a US DP in australia who asked for appleboxes by size using a US system. Called boxes LA (Los Angeles) and other city names, so youd bring the right box in the right configuration. Is that a standard thing? If so what are the names? I like the system and wanna use it. He was a bit of a dick so it could just be a bullshit student thing.

• Premium Member

The only exceptions are those rather handy nesting ones, where the half, quarter, and eighth boxes (where the 1/8 boxes are really just two sheets of ply stuck together) end up being a little smaller than the usual type. They do pack a lot better, though; I rather like them.

Thanks kids!

In Australia we have nesting sets.

Im sure he said "LA" as well. And a tall one on its side had a different name, so youd know which box to bring and which orientation. Which is more useful than "get a large applebox".

How would i find the wiki?

From Wkipedia. Geuss i should have googled before asking. I thought city names described sizes and orientation, but sounds like its just orientation. Disapointing.

""Often when a Grip is placing an Apple Box others are lifting something heavy to put on top of it, thus arose the need for terms describing what position the Apple Box should be placed in (i.e. which side of the Apple Box should be placed face-down). It is rare that these terms are used for anything other than the "Full Apple" size.

LA: Positioned so the Apple Box is resting on its largest side. 8" tall for a full apple.

New York: Positioned so the Apple Box is tallest, 20" high.

Texas/Chicago: Positioned so the Apple Box is on its longest narrow side, 12" high.""

• Premium Member

Not as far as I know - it's an apple box.

One thing I notice about the film industry (and frankly anything else with a lingo of its own) is that lots of people will tell you how to do or say something, and tell you that everyone does it that way, and they'll all tell you something subtly different.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard apple box & pancake when that all there was.Which now a half apple was a pancake back then.Sometimes they would say get me a man maker wich was a apple box.Sometimes the younger ones would laugh @ the old timer if he had a senior moment & would bring a half apple as a pancake.I would say to the young grip before U were a thought in your fathers mind,that's what a pancake was.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

There's a wikipedia page about this tagged for lack of references. I wonder if the OP's Richard wrote that as well?

They are measured in inches, of course.

Apple box slang, just more B.S.

Anybody can post on Wiki and therfore anything and everything on it is suspect. Terms: full; half; quarter; pancake are clear and sufficient. Slang terms often exixts just to make newbies, PA's in the department feel stupid.

The biggest apple box, the "full", should be New York, because it's the Big Apple. There, I've just invented new slag for use on on the East coast.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The cities refer to the orientation of the box, not the size(usually used with full apples though).

In Canada we call them 1's, 2's and 3's (lay the box flat, put it on its side, or stand it on end)

The corresponding cities are LA, Las Vegas and New York.

So if a DP asks for a full apple New York, you know to stand it up tallways.

Also heard Chicago being used intead of Las Vegas

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Catching on to the colorful language I discovered when I started working on film sets was very

rewarding as I was working my way up the totem pole. I'm definitely stealing New York, LA, and Texas.

Btw does anybody else hope Fatty Arbuckle to Woody Allen catches on? Who would be the half apple

though?

Edited by Baji Angarita