People sure have high standards for free work these days

Matthew W. Phillips

I live in Belgium Europe, and it's definitely the case here too. I don't think it's geographical thing. And as long as there are people that do sign up for similar free work, I don't think it'll change. Why would they? I also work for free from time to time, but that is mainly for friends and fellow ex-students who simply can't pay the bills of a crew on their set. As long as I can put my heart into a project, and as long as I myself can financially make that happen, then I will do it. If I can gain experience by doing something that I love, and if there's a mutual respect, why not?

But I do dislike production companies (who do have the cash to pay their crew properly) who put on as many interims as they can, making them work for 15 straight hours a day, giving them proper full-responsible jobs, for a wage of no less then €50/day. I've seen it happen lots of times.

You should be kiding.. Here in Turkiye people work even 30 hours for the same. Production companies want to shoot a two days shooting in one day. For the camera department they are all professionals and can't object this situation. Because all production companies do the same. We do not even have union here and working 30 hours for 3 or 4 months late payment...

• 3 weeks later...

It is what it is. Now with all the DSLR DP's nobody is paying squat because everybody is a DP.

I have gotten involved in some 'free' work and will do it for good friends. In fact, a bunch of us are going to start planning a feature, ala Chris Nolan's FOLLOWING. But we will still have to pay the sound guy. The catering. The assistant, etc.

Anyway, just ranting.

• Premium Member

It is what it is. Now with all the DSLR DP's nobody is paying squat because everybody is a DP.

I have gotten involved in some 'free' work and will do it for good friends. In fact, a bunch of us are going to start planning a feature, ala Chris Nolan's FOLLOWING. But we will still have to pay the sound guy. The catering. The assistant, etc.

Anyway, just ranting.

You are right one, Matt. I know you are open minded and you take offense when I insult the DSLR movement, but this is one of the problems with this movement. Talent is not respected in the DSLR arena. If you have gear and you are willing to shoot for free, they dont care if your reel sucks and they probably dont even ask to see one.