Advice on color correcting an overexposed 8mm project in CS5 Premiere Pro

Matt Stevens

Gents and ladies, I have never color corrected on my own. I did an 8mm short for the Straight8 festival and boy oh boy did I overexpose. It's the worst super8 I have ever shot. I shouldn't have trusted the light meter, which was always telling me I was underexposed. Bullsh**. Clearly the 500t was not. Oh well. Now I know to just go with my gut.

I'd like to do what I can to make this look a little bit less offensive. This is a basic capture that was inverted and sent back to me without any real color correction (I couldn't afford a professional scan + color correction for just one roll).

I have CS5 Production Premium. The auto color correction setting sure don't seem to do anything special so I am hoping for some advice here.

Hunger_example_zpseb599b2b.jpg

• Premium Member

A quick curves in photoshop gives me this:

post-12485-0-11271400-1357168246_thumb.png

You could probably massage it a bit more and pull some of the saturation out as well (as curves adds sat in my experience)

Certainly not the worst i've seen film before bringing it back to niceness.

• Premium Member

And after a quick vignette and an outside/inside correction and warming it up a bit with -14 on sat (all this in photoshop but i'm sure Premier has similar controls?) :

(also I am in no way a colorist at all, though i do know how to open apple color :ph34r: 0

post-12485-0-32044000-1357168468_thumb.jpg