narrow dolly track width

Ansis Imaks

With my partner we have been working on our own dolly system, and so far have been rather successful. The track we built in general conforms with the standard 2ft 1/2" spec, so in case needed we can rent other dolly or other tracks. It is built form thick wall 6061-T6 aluminum tubes, so does job rather well. Pieces are about 6ft (195cm) long, and we have so far 3 of them so total is just about 19ft of track.

but, we had an idea, what if we need the narrow gouge, like in tight space, or we need just one peace slider. as all our design is rather modular, so the wheel system would be reusable, track them self as well.

Hence the question - what is the gouge for narrow tracks, all my research has turned up 1ft 2" but there is a question is it exactly 14" ? or it is 1ft 2&1/8"? (14.2"). I really would like build equipment that conforms with industry standards.

Machining is no problem, I have access to CNC mills and lathes, and I'm also familiar with SolidWorks, so drawing and making is no problem, problem is to what spec?

Happy new year and thank you in advance!

I have never heard of narrow gauge track. Normally we just scssor the track to make it narrower as we need. It is variable. I lock to wheel arms on one side of the dolly, and keep the other side free. I usually use a PeeWee for narrow track shots.

I did some more research (I have to dig trough my book library as well that takes time...) an all I could find is the 36cm for narrow (some other literature it is called folded track), as well, some of the manufacturer products we have here like panther, can go to the 36cm (14.2") so I assume that this is not that popular standard but anyway - i really would like to know.

Back when I Keyed we had pipe track besides track.The pipe track was 1-1/4" pipe (steel or Alum) that laid onto rubber pads or in 2x4 sleepers.With both pipe on the truck you could have 240 foot move @ a moment notice from the 20'.Also had different lengths of pipe or just cut to size you needed I had a big sled & a small sled that were adjustable.Small one would adjust from 16" to 30" or wider by changing out the axel in 3 minutes The big sled would go from 40''-60'' or wider in 3 minutes @ every 10' was a cedar 2x4 with a bull eye level routed into it.You would site down the high side or run a manson line every 60' when doing long runs.It worked great because you didn't have to wait for the level.On a Cohen Brothers movie we had the pickup truck on the big sled.As time went on had a laser for long runs which made it quicker.The guys would have a gauge which would snap on & off the pipe.This system would do it all @ once .Track was straight level right to left & no bumps or high spots down the length of the track.Was told a lot of times to sell the system to other grips.Just shared the idea got more from that

• Upvote 1