How do you get a job in a camera rental house?

Daniel Dykstra

I want to work in one so badly, but every time I get close, I end up falling short. I've had good luck with craigslist and have gotten a few interviews. I feel like the interview went well, sent a thank you letter, followed up, but every time I don't get it. Any advice on being able to find those and get them? Thanks.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Why should they hire you, Daniel? Besides "Wanting to work in one so badly", which isn't something most employer's look for in a applicant. What can you offer them? Are you technically gifted with their kind of equipment, are you a repair genius?

Ask yourself what you have to offer a camera rental house. Also realize there are only so many camera rental houses- it might be easier to work on a small productions first to gain experience which may pleasantly change your career aspirations.

Why should they hire me?

Because I'm one of the most reliable, passionate about growing, hardworking person you'll ever meet. I once made a commitment to film a wedding for a friend. A couple days before it, I broke my right elbow, but I thought I just really bruised it. So at the time I didn't know it, but I filmed the wedding because I made a commitment instead of just dropping out because of the pain.

I am an expert at Red and Canon products and I'm excited to learn more about other cameras. While you may have candidates who have more experience then me, they won't be as reliable or exicited to grow as I am.

I also have great customer service. I currently work at Sherwin-Williams where customer service is our greatest priority and I have been trained for that. One thing we're known for is giving out free shirts to our customers. I had one big client who wanted a bunch of them, but at the time my store was out of them. I knew he would be coming in tomorrow to pick up some paint and will ask for the shirts. I didn't want him to leave dissatisfied. I then remember I was given a bunch of them to wear before I got my offical logo shirts. I went home, washed them, and then brought them to work the next day. He left very happy. Thats how much I care about customer satisfaction.

You should hire me because I am the person who is best qualified for this job. If you hire me, I will be your best asset. But if you don't, you will waste a chance to hire the best employee that this company ever had.

Also, heres a link to my demo reel.

I just don't get it. Yes, I'm not the most experienced person in the world, but they have seen my resume and if I didn't have enough experience for them, then why did they bring me in?

After I find out I didn't get it, I send an email to the interview person thanking him again for interviewing me and then asking if he could give me some tips on what I could have done better on my interview or anything else for that matter, but everytime I never get a responds.

Also, I didn't know about the camera house paided internship. I googled it and didn't find anything, but I'll send them a email asking about it. Thanks.