diffusion/bounce frames

Travis Gray

Tried searching around to see what sizes people frequently use for frames, but either I'm not doing it right or there isn't really anything there, so try not to get too crazy about posting redundant stuff haha

But, looking at getting some frames/diffusion/etc for some shoots coming up, and I figure I might as well just own things I'll frequently use. I do have some outdoors shoots, and I'm wondering if an 8x8 frame is worth having or if it's just something to rent on a shoot by shoot basis.

So, basically, what sizes does everyone use most frequently usually and would be worth having?

I like the 12x20 a lot. Doesn't catch nearly as much wind as a 20x20 but has nice width as a bounce. It also gives better coverage as an overhead than a 12x12. also the 5x7 and 6x8 for indoor locations. 4x4's and 6x6's should be a standard part of the package. Just use frames frequently, they can make a huge difference and make everything easier.

• 4 months later...

I like the 12x20 a lot. Doesn't catch nearly as much wind as a 20x20 but has nice width as a bounce. It also gives better coverage as an overhead than a 12x12. also the 5x7 and 6x8 for indoor locations. 4x4's and 6x6's should be a standard part of the package. Just use frames frequently, they can make a huge difference and make everything easier.

5x7', 6x8'?? Who is making frames in those sizes or are you buying 8x frames and shortening the pipes? 6x6 is a good size for interiors, you can use it in a house without scraping the ceiling. With muslin in the frame it can become a false wall or quick backdrop. 8x8' can be erected quickly outside when you need to knock down the sun in a close-up. Mostly 12x12' and 20x20' for bounce and diffusion. Bigger frames require more hands to be dedicated to them during the shoot for safety. Four people for a 20x frame outside, with bags and guy ropes and none of them better be caught using their phone.

Odd sized frames mean fewer (more expensive) sources for rags. Standard size frames, 4x4 6x6, 8x8, etc. means any brand rag will fit your frame. Purchased or rented.

Once again a case of trying to stuff a 3 ton grip truck in a duffle bag.

• Upvote 1

I would go insane if we had odd sized frames and rags. Its just one more thing to slow the whole process down ... 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 12x12, 20x20, 12x20 - plenty to choose from.

Maybe I'm just getting old :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I carry 6x6, 8x8, 8x12, 12x12, 10x20, 12x20, 20x20, and 20x30 on my truck. Basically 2 of each:

Solid

Silk

Single

Double

Grifloyn

Ultrabounce

Silent Full, Half, 1/4 Grid

Soft Frost

1/2 Soft Frost

Bleached/Unbleached Muslin

Chrome Blue/Green

Digital Blue/Green

LCDs

This is pretty standard for a custom grip package...maybe drop the 20x30s if space/cost is an issue.