Alexa XR internal ARRIRAW recording

Dom Jaeger

• Premium Member

Arri just announced an upgrade to allow internal ARRIRAW recording, using an XR module that replaces the existing SxS card holder. It will only add 8mm to the width of the camera.

The XR drives will record 55 minutes of ARRIRAW at 24fps, be able to record up to 120 fps, and have a data rate of 6.7 Gigabits per second. An adapter will still allow for SxS PRO cards to be used for ProRes.

A new Alexa XT range will have the module built-in, all with 4:3 sensors.

http://www.fdtimes.com/2013/02/20/arri-alexa-xr-and-xt/

• Premium Member

"An adapter will still allow for SxS PRO cards to be used for ProRes."

Where did you see that information? The article says the XR module will record RAW or ProRes but doesn't specify an adapter for SxS Pro.

It's in the article:

"You format the XR Capture Drive either for ARRIRAW or for ProRes. SxS PRO cards have not been forgotten. An adapter with a single slot accommodates an SxS PRO card. (SxS-1 and SxS PRO+ cards are not compatible with Alexa.)"

It's in the article:

"You format the XR Capture Drive either for ARRIRAW or for ProRes. SxS PRO cards have not been forgotten. An adapter with a single slot accommodates an SxS PRO card. (SxS-1 and SxS PRO+ cards are not compatible with Alexa.)"

I guess I need to rethink the value of that speedreading class I took...

I wrote an article about this which might be clearer, tho a bit late in the day now:

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/487-arri-alexa-gets-xr-module-for-on-board-raw-recording

Alll the new cameras are now 4:3 native, so I guess Arri are pushing big for anamorphic and it made me wonder about the idea that the cameras might already be 4k anamorphic:

4k UHDTV is defined as 3840 × 2160. The Red One camera shoots 4k anamorphic at 2816 x 2304 pixels and finally the Alexa XT’s shoot 2880 x 2160 resolution in 4:3 mode. The Alexa XT cameras must be very close to 4k considering that a 2.40:1 aspect ratio is going to be letterboxed on a 4k UHD screen. So maybe it is already a 4k camera if you are shooting anamorphic?

Maybe Arri just aren't jumping on the 4k marketing bandwagon?

What does anyone here think?

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

"4K" just means 4096 pixels across (3840 across is UHDTV... but for TV monitors, it may be close enough to 4K.) But 2880 across is not 4096 across, whether or not the vertical dimension is shorter or taller. It's not a diagonal measurement of resolution. I don't think Red would claim that shooting in 4K ANA mode is somehow getting you 4K horizontal resolution, but it should have been named something other than 4K if you are shooting with anamorphic lenses and recording 2816 across. But it doesn't really matter, it's just a name, everyone can easily find out the pixel dimensions.

With the 6K Dragon sensor, "ANA" mode should be bigger in pixel dimensions than 4:3 ARRIRAW, probably in the 3.6K across ballpark range if the vertical is more like 3K (assuming the sensor is near 2:1.) These are all rough guesses.