Angenieux-Arri type 10 Zoom to Canon 600D

Fdz Bx

I have a Canon 600D and an Arriflex-Angenieux type 10 x 25 T2 zoom lens that I would like to use it with.

I am not sure what kind of mount the Arri lens is but I have attached images. Is there an adapter that would allow this lens to work with an APS-C camera?

Many thanks for the info.

_MG_9111.JPG

_MG_9112.JPG

_MG_9113.JPG

_MG_9114.JPG

You have an old Angenieux zoom which probably dates to the early to mid 70's.

This lens has a "universal mount" scheme. The tail end was threaded, and there were several camera mounts which could be installed, depending on which camera you were using.

The actual lens mount is an "Arri B" or "Arri bayontte". This was Arri's first bayonette mount. IIRC, it was used from the early models up to the the BL 2 or so.

There were probably some mounting shims between the mount and the lens body at one time. Since they are gone it's a crapshoot whether the lens is properly collimated and would hold focus during zoom.

Many of the B mounts were made of aluminum, as is yours, as this is a soft metal, they tend to pick up nicks and dents with use, which makes mounting imprecise.

The B mount was superseded with the PL mount in the 80's or so. The PL mount is much more rigid, and, importantly, much more repeatable.

As to your question about using this on you 60D, the answer is yes, it is probably technically possible.

The B mount has a focal distance of 52mm, while the EOS has a an FD of 42 mm, so assuming the tail of the lens clears the mirror box, there is probably enough space for an adapter.

However, good luck finding a B to EOS adapter. I've never seen one.

If you were good in machine shop, you could probably loose the B-mount part and make a pretty rigid adapter to pick up the threads on the tail of the lens.

The lens probably won't cover the Canon frame at the wider focal lengths.

Oops - my bad.

When I wrote the last post this morning I was multitasking, glanced quickly at the pictures, didn't think too hard on what I was typing, and got it totally wrong.

The mount shown is, of course, a Standard mount, not a B-mount.

The standard mount was Arri's first interchangable mount.

The B-mount was a later introduction (60's?) to solve some of problems with the B mount (soft materials, poor rotational indexing, poor seating repeatability).

The B mount was superseded by the PL mount.

Many Ang. lenses, like this one, had a tail end configured to take multiple, interchangable (with colimation) mounts.

The rest of the post should be accurate. Both the B and Std mount had a 52mm backfocus, so this lens could, in theory, mount onto an EOS with a backfocus of 42mm, provided it could clear the mirror box inset, but I've never seen such an adapter.

The lens would probably have marginal coverage at the wide end.

thanks a lot, Steve, this is exactly what I needed to know.

I've had this lens lying around and was wondering if it could be put to good use. I guess not.

Is it worth anything? Would it be worth selling on e-bay? It's not the cleanest lens, with a few light scratches on the front element...