Seems to me if you are not only going to shoot 35mm but are buying a camera it might be penny wise and pound foolish not to buy a digital meter.

It may hurt but it will also pay for itself in the long run.

Just my humble opinion.

• Premium Member

I use the walnut-sized Gossen Digiflash for everything out of pure unwillingness to hang a brick around my neck. Used to have the classic Sekonic L-398 and loved it until it got stolen on a set. If it's good enough for Storaro, then it's good enough for me. Still haven't got or needed at spotmeter yet (the gaffers always have one anyway:-), but I'm eyeing an old Pentax spot on eBay as we speak..:-)

No need to fork out a fortune for a digital meter, unless you really need all-in-one. But if you can afford it, why not?

• Premium Member

Yes, this was discussed a lot in a few threads.

I use the Sekonic 508c, and my gaffer uses a Sekonic 558c which has the internal spot readout, but no zoom. The 508 has not internal readout, but is a zoom spot meter from 1 to 3 degrees.

Kevin Zanit

Seems to me if you are not only going to shoot 35mm but are buying a camera it might be penny wise and pound foolish not to buy a digital meter.

It may hurt but it will also pay for itself in the long run.

Just my humble opinion.

I just meant I didn't want to spend 5-600 dollars on one. I had been told they could range all the way up to 700 or so.