My potential Canon Scoopic MS + sound rec set up?

Rudy Velez Jr

This is my scoopic ms set up on my tripod and with a few brackets holding my zoom h4n and chinon super 8 boom mic.

question1: what do you think of this set up?

question2: what type of PX battery would one of these Chinon super8 boom mics take?

question3: I have currently two sylvania sun guns(models 1 & II) how would I go about setting up these two powerful lights to provide light for my shoots. Is it safe to put a some shower curtain cloth over the light ( at least 6 inches away, from powerful light) to act as a diffuser. Is is possible to mount these lights to tripods, they have some screw threads and brackets . What type of lighting effect would result if I attached one of my sun guns to were I have the Chinon boom mic in the photos listed. I think i will post a picture of this later, to clarify.

Question 4: This MS is un modified by The Film Group so no crystal sync..Has or Does anyone have used a scoopic with a Crystal sync, if so, how does it effect the noise the camera makes while filming.

Although my camera is un modified to do crystal sync sound I will do a test to see if I can record anything I film, with my zoom h4n, and or depending if I get a battery my zoom h4n and chinon boom mic. Hopefully I will be able to find a battery for the Chinon and conduct a test with it in conjunction with my Zoom H4N. I would how good those boom mics were?

I plan on using something like Audacity to perhaps remove the noise of the camera running film in w/e I record. As for the recording itself..at the moment it will probably be an interview, conducted either on the street with a lot of noise and/or in a very quiet room were the only noise will be from my interview and the noise of my camera. Do you think I will be able to strip the noise my camera makes while running film from my actual audio from my shoot?

also if anyone has a 400ft adapter I am in the market for one ;D

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr

You may find it beneficial to remove the microphone from the camera - bolting it to the camera means every slight vibration and noise made by the camera will go straight to the microphone.

If the camera's sat on a tripod, then just putting the microphone on the ground beneath the tripod will isolate the camera noise a lot more than having them fastened together.

Outdoors I used to be able to record sound whist filming with a K3 without picking up camera noise. The technique was to use a boom mic positioned perhaps 15-20ft in front and offset to the side of the camera slightly - this put the camera in one of the areas where the microphone was least sensitive, general outdoor countryside ambient noise was sufficient to do the rest.