NAB 2013: Blackmagic

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

The purpose of the MFT mount isn't, as far as I can see, to mount MFT lenses. The purpose of it is to be suitable for adaptation to almost every other lens mount out there, including popular options such as PL and Canon EF, which do cover super-35. Few MFT lenses are that usable without electronic control anyway, which the smaller BMD camera didn't have.

• Premium Member

BMD said at the recent NAB that they "might" release a PL version of the BMPC-4K at some point, but the time-frame was unspecified. No guarantees it'll be anytime soon, if at all.

Although a MFT mount has certain advantages on this camera, it would confuse a certain percentage of potential customers, industry press, and bloggers. The confusion would stem from the fact that made-for-MFT lenses can't cover the BMPC-4K camera's S35-size sensor.

So, even though a MFT mount could work well for folks "in the know", by using adapters to PL, F, etc., it would be an awkward marketing message. My guess is that this is the main reason why BMD won't offer the BMPC-4K with a MFT mount.

There's some talk that the Sony "E" mount (my preference) isn't allowed by Sony to be used on a camera body, except of course on Sony's own cameras. If true, my guess is that a very large suitcase full of cash can address this issue, but maybe BMD doesn't have a suitcase big enough (or choses to spend their cash on other things)?

There are other mounts (and interchangeable universal mount systems) available, but I suspect if BMD had chose to use them (or "E") it would've delayed the BMPC-4K's design, manufacture & eventual shipping by at least a few months, maybe much longer. And possibly caused the camera's price to be higher, too. My guess is that BMD decided they wanted to get the BMPC-4K shipping ASAP, and to sell it for no more than $4K US, for whatever reason.

That's probably why BMD chose to use the same mount (EF) & body as the original BMCC. And the EF mount offers advantages to quite a few potential BMPC-4K customers. The simplest explanation being the most likely correct one.

Later, BMD will probably sell a PL mount version of the BMPC-4K, like what Canon does with their "C" line. Two separate versions of the same camera, one with an active EF mount, the other with a PL mount.

Just guesses on my part, but makes sense to me. Cheers.

• Premium Member

So, even though a MFT mount could work well for folks "in the know", by using adapters to PL, F, etc., it would be an awkward marketing message

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but that's a really bad reason to compromise the design of something.

• 1 month later...