HMI troubleshooting...

Hey guys, I don't know how I didn't come across this excellent forum before!

I've been having an issue with my Strand open face (Shaula 575w, Mod. #0009). I noticed it wouldn't strike upside-down or at extreme angles, but otherwise seemed alright. It went out on a shoot a few months ago, ran for about 20min until the dp decided he wanted to go all tungsten (??) and we packed it up. It hasn't run since.

I thought it was the safety switch, since they almost never work well on older HMI heads, but I fiddled with it and make sure it was engaging correctly. The head itself has a remote start-stop feature, and simply doesn't appear to be energizing - the strike/power down switches normally light up when it's in a "ready" state.

I know the ballast is in working condition, it powers up and strikes my fresnel heads just fine. Globe hours are unknown. Hobbs read 43.5hrs.

Any troubleshooting thoughts?

Edited by Duncan OBryan

• Premium Member

I had an HMI once that needed one end of the feeder cable remaking - it's possible you've got a cable fault somewhere. If the cable is good on other heads, though, you may have to check continuity through the connector on the head itself.

P

Thank you Phil, I'll check the feeder cable. Unfortunately, it's the style that is permanently attached to the head, so It'll involve separating the reflector from the "electronics package". Hopefully easer done than said!

Looks like you were right, I've only got continuity on three of seven conductors in the feeder cable...

Any idea where I can get replacement cable? Safety is #1, so I want to make sure I use the right shielding/wire gauge!