250D Latitude

I recently shot a student short film with Kodak Vision 250D.

Because of reshedueling problems, i didn't get the chance to do the stock tests i had planned. My concern at the moment is the latitude. How forgiving is the stock in terms of detail, contrast and colour, when under or over expossed by up to two or two and a half stops?

Thanks,

• Premium Member

I assume you are referring to the Vision 1 250D.

I like the stock a lot. It is a very "snappy" stock with deep blacks. I found if anything, the blacks will go black fairly quickly. I feel like the stock has more over exposure latitude than under (just my interpretation based on my method of exposure).

The stock is fairly saturated, and its color rendering abilities when over or underexposing is the same as any other stock essentially.

When overexposing and printing down (by about 1 stop or less) you will find an even "snappier" look with a seemingly tighter grain structure.

I found this stock very easy to work with. It is pretty forgiving and flexible. I did some day exterior work recently with it and was amazed with the highlight detail it held. The shadows went to black a little quicker than I expected (but I loved how it looked).

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Overexposure latitude is very good. A very "heavy" negative may require a change in overall printer setup. On some telecines, a really heavy negative may get noisier in the highlights. One stop overexposure will look fine, and the highlights should hold well even at two stops over (Gross overexposure can compress the highlights).

Underexposure latitude is good, but more than a stop will start to lose details in the shadows, and the black densities on a print come down, especially as you go to -2 stops and beyond.

If you KNOW that you grossly underexposed the film, consider using a push-1 process.