Camera Sliders

• Premium Member

So less than 3'?

I would have thought DP's would want something longer to allow for cutting in after the start of the move and out before it end

The larger the slider, the more space you need, so by being smaller & faster to set up it gets used more.

30 inches is about the most you can easily move the camera without physically moving. I will use a dolly if I want a big move.

I'm a huge fan of the cam-tram system. You can also build custom track out of unistrut. While I haven't used the higher end accessories, there are motors and such that you can use to expand it into a really useful kit. With the gear and the time, it can really do a lot of cool stuff.

I find Dana Dollies are a bit faster to set up, and you can tuck them away in the truck. A key grip I know built one for very cheap, and rolls it around on the speed rail or on dolly track that's opened halfway. Used it to roll down the narrow aisle of an older jetliner the other day. It may not be able to do as much stuff as the cam tram, but it's a little more straightforward and flexible in a limited range of deployments.

If you want a tripod mounted slider for small cameras, I'd build one off of McMaster Carr hardware--most of the retail options seem to be a big ripoff to me.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

We have a five foot Kessler with motor and an Oracle controller at work. Having the motor really makes all the difference when using the full travel of the platform. I never could get consistent speed using the little crank. Before we got the motor, I would just manhandle the camera with my freakishly long orangoutang arms. (5'11" with a 6'3"wingspan). I have also come up with a way to mo-dino-fy (as I like to call it) the rig with a counter weight attached by cable to the platform for use in vertical and diagonal moves with great success. It takes the stress off the belts so they won't slip or be damaged. There goes the warrantee I guess. I understand that some sliders now come with this feature.

• 7 months later...

I use a short (30") Konova for slider shots. I like it because it is short enough to mount on a single tripod with a smaller camera, and also small enough to throw over my shoulder. As long as you have an object in the near field (critical for slider shots) you will get the effect you want. Also narrow DOF shots look great on a slider if you can get enough light on your subject to really open up the aperture.

Yes you are right, short sliders are going good now days, easy to carry and to put on shoulder. I am also using a slider. I bought this purely on the recommendation of my friend, and I was not disappointed at all. Quality is great and the slide is very smooth. I was incredibly pleased when I took it out of the box because of the construction of the slider and the awesome carrying case it came in.

http://www.flycamdslr.com/hdvs/CAMTREE-3ft-Linear-Camera-Slider-C-S3-4010-with-Level-Feet.html

• 10 months later...

I'm a big fan of the Cineped 3.5' slider. The quad-pod base is a bit "clumsy" to adjust if you are moving fast, but it's all quite rugged. Otherwise, the dana dolly, in 6' length, is my go-to. With all slider systems, keeping them well maintained is key. Even on the lowest budget shows, I often have to rent my slider separately from a g&e package because of their upkeep. Rails that are chipped, dirty wheels, tiny misalignments... they can all ruin a shot. The fewer moving parts the better... or else your team must intimately know the gear to keep it running smoothly. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I hate the Cineped, but that mostly has to do with the legs as Laura says. They are a horrible design and very slow to setup and move. I have a Kessler 3' Cineslider which is ok but not great for anything bigger than a C100. MYT Works makes a pretty decent one that is much lighter than the standard Mitchell based sliders. Of the large size, I've used the Original Slider and the Silent Cat, both of which can be temperamental if not kept immaculately clean. I find the simple Dana Dolly works the best for me.

• Premium Member

I use the Cinevate Atlas 200. Which is a beefy bastard that runs on chromed steel rod. The advantage of that is you can change the length of the slider by simply having longer or shorter lengths of rail (a really useful feature).

I keep the slider mounted to 4' of rail so that it fits nicely in a Pelican 1750 for easy transportation. But I also keep a set of 8' rails for shots that require a more substantial movement (or more commonly these days, for use as a quickly set up overhead rig for the camera or jib).

The Cinevate runs on sealed ball bearings, so the movement is exceptionally smooth, but that comes at the cost of some noise during faster moves. It's a trade-off I don't mind making for the versatility that the slider offers - but it is still a tradeoff.

• Premium Member

Yeah, you'd need to fabricate some sort of undercarriage to mount the Cinevate on a dolly. Wouldn't be complex, but whether it's worth the time and effort though I don't know.

Being able to switch between 100mm, 150mm and Mitchell bases is a handy feature.

But I think it's being able to convert mine into an overhead rig for tabletop work in just 5 minutes or so that's a real boon. It's just so quick to do.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest. In my opinion it really depends on the situation and the project.

In some situations I really love having the 3ft Silent cat slider on a tripod or the

dolly and just making some tiny adjustments.

On the other hand sometimes it's nice to have a 6ft one and make some small

traveling. The same time, in my opinion there is no slider travelling as smooth

and gentle as one of a dolly.

But It might also be that's not what that project is going for...

My advice... Just rent one. There are so many out there and you get for

every project the right thing...