Hi,

So, post-travel, my Sachtler 20P system came out of the shipping tube, and the 2-stage heavy duty carbon fiber sticks got the usual examination for damage, and, suddenly I had CF splinters in my hand from a fair-sized crack in one of the outer sticks. These are the heavy duty 2-stage sticks, from a awhile back I'm assuming, as the 20P is a few models ago. I'll need to look into the stick model, specifically, sorry. If it helps I can take pictures later. But I assume you can imagine the damage.

Anyone have any tips for repair? Is sending to Sachtler the main option? Experiences with any other Sachtler-ready outfits or shops would be most welcome. Also, what can I expect to pay for a new / replacement (single) stick (for the outer, upper stage)? Thanks a million,

Isaac

Dom Jeger often pops up on threads like this and will probably have experience sourcing that part.

I needed a plastic body for the leg lock on an old aluminum Sachtler a while ago. The local Panavision had the agency, and the part, sitting for years, so was really cheap. You never know your luck.

If you can't easily find the part, pultruded tube is probably plentiful and fairly cheap. Look to suppliers in the marine industry. Actually, cracks in carbon composite are very easily repaired and dressed back to shape if one has the skills. But that assumes the fracture has not brocken too many lengthwise fibres.

From a design perspective, it's a bit of a myth that carbon will increase the apparent system stiffness. The overall geometry and the joint design is much more significant towards that IMHO.

• 6 years later...

Hi there, I am having the same problem. I cracked the Carbon tube on my ENG Sachtler 100mm tripod

The model is Sachtler CF-100ENG 2CF Carbon Fiber 2-Stage Tripod Legs (100mm Bowl)

Does anybody know the best way to release the glue holding in the tubes. If I can release the tubes I can replace the individual tubes.

Thanks for any help! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 12:32 PM, Paul Cuthbert said:

Hi there, I am having the same problem. I cracked the Carbon tube on my ENG Sachtler 100mm tripod

The model is Sachtler CF-100ENG 2CF Carbon Fiber 2-Stage Tripod Legs (100mm Bowl)

Does anybody know the best way to release the glue holding in the tubes. If I can release the tubes I can replace the individual tubes.

Thanks for any help! 

Hi Paul, the tubes can be very hard to release from the brackets.  Once in a while they will come apart with a heavy tap using a big hammer and a nylon block.  If not you can try enclosing the end in a plastic bag full of acetone although that is highly toxic so be safe and read the MSDS for the Acetone.  Cutting the brackets off using a cutting disc on a Dremel is your last alternative and then you can just replace the brackets as well as the damaged tubes.  We have stock of tubes and brackets if you need them.  Best of luck, Ian. www.IJES.ca