Hi,

I'm currently planning a short that I am DP'ing by the end of the summer. As you might have expected, we are kind of on a limited budged, but we have enough to rent the equipment needed. I am planning to shoot on my own 7d.

The director wants the entire short, which by the way is one scene only (about 3-4 minutes), to take place by the ocean, and it is raining throughout the entire scene. We went location scouting last week, and found the location we want. It is, however, not very close to any population. My plan is to bring a power supplier, so that I may not worry about batteries for all the equipment, our tiny video village, etc. (the sound guys will probably hate me, though).

Anyway, the director has asked me to find a way to create the rain. I was thinking that since we're shooting right by the ocean, why not use that unlimited amount of water to do it? All I would need is some solution as to how I can bring the water up in the air. Something like the stuff the fire departments use to get water up from the fire plugs, or something like that. Now, for that part I have little experience.

Any ideas or experiences that could help me?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Tomas Frigstad

You're going to need a pump, however, something powerful enough is usually driven by a engine which is more suitable for a building site, which won't make the sound dept..happy. If you were in a city you could arrange access to a fire hydrant, but in a location like this your best bet is the sea.