Bolex Video Assist Using Mintron Cam

Robert Ditto

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone,

I have been researching and developing a Video Assist System for Bolex Reflex Cameras for a while now.

Thus far, I have discovered that almost every system I have come across uses a mintron camera with a custom adapter fitted to the Bolex Diopter.

I have tried looking for one of these cameras to purchase but cannot find them without buying someone's entire camera system. Does anyone know where I can source one of the cameras or suggest a suitable alternative?

Sincerely, Respectfully,

Robert M. Ditto

Hi Robert,

You don't have to use a Mintron. A lot of other cameras will do fine. I have used KT&C cameras, Watec cameras, and cameras from SuperCircuits on the Bolex. The choice of lens is more important. This is often a process of trial and error to get the proper frame size and and keep vignetting to a minimum.

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Thank You! Jean-Louis!

OK, I am trying to rig a Bolex EBM with a 13x viewfinder, do you have a sugesstion as where to start with the lens based on your experience?

Sincerely, Respectfully,

Robert M. Ditto

• 3 months later...

How do you keep the camera on the view finder? Do you have to remove any part of the view finder?

I just got a little mintron camera in the mail today (see Photos) and I'm trying to figure out how to hook it up as a video assist. I'm not sure if I need a new lens. It came with a 4mm apc tv video drive pinhole lens. Seems like if I removed the eye piece, I could slide the lens in. But I'm sensing I need another lens.

post-59019-0-44472300-1379563100_thumb.jpg

post-59019-0-92301800-1379563109_thumb.jpg

post-59019-0-66179000-1379563121_thumb.jpg

Oh ok. Thanks. I was trying last night but didn't get an image but I think it's because it's a pinhole lens. It's just a white dot in the center and I can't see what I'm focusing on even when I'm not trying to hold it up to the viewfinder. I suspect I don't know how to use a pinhole lens. :D I've been in the "non-removable" lens world since I started making films so I'm getting a crash course in lenses since I bought my Bolex some weeks ago.

I'll play around with this some more and order a non-pinhole 8mm for this instead and see if that works.

I'll see about getting an adapter made of some sort.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...