http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

Spielberg said. "That's the big danger, and there's eventually going to be an implosion or a big meltdown. There's going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen megabudget movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that's going to change the paradigm."

• Premium Member

Yep. It'll happen one day. Maybe it'll really suck. But such is the nature of a market, and in the ashes other players emerge. Maybe we can finally get out of al these sequels, prequels, and reboots.

It's the guns I can't stand. Too many guns in too many movies. If people need guns to go see a movie, if editors need guns to make "exciting" short promo's, then let the implosion begin. Is there such a thing as an A actor who doesn't brandish a gun? Yes, but their numbers are excruciatingly small.

Where are those good movies like - the green mile, bridges of river Kwai, pulp fiction, one fine day, ... Movies with human characters whose emotions were captured in camera on set and not in swanky post houses on a computer!

• 3 weeks later...

When the big time directors, writers lose sight of ground reality, they keep on depending on sequels and prequels and reboots and robots. When one mingles with the crowd, one can observe and take inspiration from real life....

The directors are just doing what the studios are prepared to fund. Increasingly these seem to be action movies that they can make a fast return on. The more character type features are tending to be made by the television channels (cable or otherwise)..

Yeah I don't think an implosion would necessarily be a bad thing for the industry. Right now they're producing these gigantic and terrible movies because people continue to watch them. And people continue to watch them largely because they have to other choice. People watch whatever is put in front of them. Such a shake-up might re-frame the values of filmmaking away from visual roller coaster rides, and back to excellent and original stories.

• Premium Member

What else can be expected of a generation and a half that grew up with violent video games, transformers cartoons, and years of violent television? Plus if you look at it from the perspective of the music industry which realized years ago that its profits were driven by adolescent tastes. The studios today understand completely that the eight to fourteen year olds of a few years ago are the movie goers of today and are so desensitized to violence that you have to blow up a bunch of stuff and kill a bunch of people to get them into the theaters. I have six grandchildren and in spite of their parents best efforts they only want to see violent stuff. Anything else just bores the poop out of them.

What else can be expected of a generation and a half that grew up with violent video games, transformers cartoons, and years of violent television? Plus if you look at it from the perspective of the music industry which realized years ago that its profits were driven by adolescent tastes. The studios today understand completely that the eight to fourteen year olds of a few years ago are the movie goers of today and are so desensitized to violence that you have to blow up a bunch of stuff and kill a bunch of people to get them into the theaters. I have six grandchildren and in spite of their parents best efforts they only want to see violent stuff. Anything else just bores the poop out of them.

Don't be so quick to generalize. I'm part of Generation Y (ugh!) and my attention is not held by the nonsense that's put on screen nowadays. Yes I grew up playing violent video games, but violence isn't inherently interesting.

The last movie I saw that truly moved me was Mark Romanek's "Never Let Me Go" and there's nothing violent about that movie. (It's incredibly depressing though.)

Most movies today are so vapid that I don't want to own them in my collection, let alone see them in theaters.

• Premium Member

I think it's more of a realization that the market the majors spent the last 20 years trying to capture is now lost to computer games, and therefore they'll be a second rate industry on the entertainment pyramid. Games allow you to create your own narrative (game depending) and are far more interactive and involved than movies.

Films spoon feed you emotion on what you should feel, and has been doing that for a century now, and I think most people are very sick and tired of it, and sick and tired of an industry whose product they love just not producing things they want to see, or when it does come then it's with the same usual preachy message that turns off Joe viewer.

People get tired of being told how to think and feel, and games offer them a kind of freedom that movies will never allow. Having said all that, and even being a huge gamer since the days of Pong on black and white TVs and games on teletype computers, I still like movies for what they are. But movies, to me at least, started to die in 90s, and I think are in their death throes.

A way to salvage them is to learn from how stage plays survived; keep making good shows that people, not just niche markets, but everyone likes to see. That's what built Hollywood in the first place.

I'll get off my high horse now.

• Premium Member

what I meant to express is that the movie companies can't depend on the exceptions like yourself Mr. Zusak. They have to market to the largest demographic that they believe will spend money on their product. They can't or won't take a chance on something they aren't pretty darn sure will attract dollars in the post theater rental market. They seem to feel that the only films they can sell to that demographic are full of gore, sexuality, and pyrotechnics. Granted, I'm only going by what I see on the movie trailer websites, most of which is some pretty nasty stuff, and what I hear from the young folks I interface with.. If there were more folks of your ilk, this thread wouldn't need to exist.

My drama teacher many years ago lamented that the stage had become a place for smash hits or tax write offs, and that the days of it being a good business were over. Is it possible that the film industry has reached that point now? I certainly hope not...d

• Premium Member

Video game companies are having equal, if not greater hardships than the film industry... And for similar reasons. They haven't caught on that people are not impressed by grandiose visual effects and violence alone.

Caveat; Jason, I accidentally hit the "report" button instead of the "quote" button, so you get a Pm from the moderator, blame me. My bad.

Games have become overbloated in the last ten years Before you needed a few coders and maybe a dozen artists to crank out a really exceptional game (not even that many people). The real high end games like the Battlefield franchise or the FIFA Soccer games (both EA titles), have a huge audience that no film could possibly meet.

I think the latest Battlefield 4 has delivered a lot of bang for the buck, and I think a lot of what offsets the cost of games is the fact that some companies charge you to play their product. That's the one saving grace of films in the long run; you see it a few times, and sure you pay to see it each time (theoretically), but, if you really love that film, then you buy the home-video version of it once, and it's in your library forever. The other saving grace about films is that the rental fees are many times lower than a subscription to a game.

On the other hand Hollywood has its version of an old-boy network, although they really refuse to acknowledge it. To them it's all about getting the right creative types with outlooks that sync up with directors and producers. Therefore you get a lot of product that always has a social message to it. Films weren't always like that, and even though they were more primitive in terms of shooting styles and other technical elements, they still entertained.