Tablet VS pen&paper

From a DP perspective, the use of a tablet on set to consult diagrams,charts, manuals, storyboards and so on, makes sense to me. I wonder, though, from an AC perspective (especially for a 2nd AC), does a tablet really beat pen and paper? Would it really make things more efficient?

I was looking into buying a tablet to use on set and I would like to hear the opinion of other ACs on the matter. I honestly cannot see myself benefit from typing my camera reports on a tablet in a busy and fast-paced production (aka 99.9% of them); yes, all my reports would be perfectly neat and clean at the end of the day, but at a big cost in terms of "speed" (ie, if I'm called to do something, I CAN drop a notebook on the ground).

Does anybody here have any experience in using tablets on set? Is it really worth it?

• Upvote 1

I have used a tablet (a Blackberry Playbook) on set, and it's great to keep reference material close at hand. I keep the script, and all sorts of reference books on it.

I much prefer paper and pencil for anything that needs to be done quickly. It's way faster and more convenient. Not to mention, more reliable.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...