2 perf or 3 perf with Fuji stocks

For cost reasons I'm looking at 2 perf and 3 perf 35mm for my feature. Also, for cost reasons I'm looking at using the last Fuji stock from the UK (I'm in Ireland). I've heard that Fuji stocks feel a little grainy compared to Kodak. Is this true?

Would the 3 perf or 2 perf feel grainy as a result? I don't mind texture, but for this project I'd like to keep the image a bit cleaner if I can. I know Hunger used Fuji stock for 2 perf and it looked good - I never saw it projected.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I worked on Hunger briefly and saw it projected. No problems with 2perf and it looked great projected.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used Fuji's 400t?

I seen a film shot with it and it was grainy (in a nice way), but I'm not sure if the stock was pushed for that look or if that's part of the stocks look.

Would it be wise to use 400t or 500t with 2 perf if I'm looking for a (not clean as such but) smooth look?

One reason I'm thinking about 400t is because it's low con and can produce nice creamy skin tones. I want a more natural look for my upcoming project.

I've also heard of people pulling high con stocks and using the push/pull printing process to bring more cream into the skin. Would this bring out grain, or keep it smooth? (I'm the director, not DoP)