books on HD

Mike Williamson

I'm looking for books on shooting HD and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions. I've looked at Paul Wheeler's "High Definition and 24P Cinematography Cinematography" which looks more recent than his "Digital Cinematography" book, has anyone read either of them? Any other recommendations?

I've started reading the ASC Video Manual and working through that, but I'm still trying to make sure I'm really understanding the basics of how the video signal works. I have a fair amount of experience shooting film, so I'm not looking for an introduction to filmmaking book, but something that specifically addresses shooting HD. Thanks, all input appreciated.

I'm looking for books on shooting HD and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions.

I read Paul Wheeler's book and it is very interesting.

I also had an e-mail relation with him after having read his book via Panavision's dealer in Mexico.

As it turns out, and he admits this in his book, he works for Panavision-Sony developing and promoting their 24pHDCAM system.

There are some very valid concerns that a D.O.P. coming form a cine and ENG backgoround doesn't think about.

It's a good read and conteins some interesting pointers and tricks.

Technology has developed a bit further then the edition I have though, but such is life in Video. Every day some "end it all" system comes along, no?

Hello Mike,

Although it's true that Paul wheeler works for Panavision (he promotes their equipment on almost every page) his book about HD (as well as his last book "Digital Cinematography") are extremely informative and I would recomend them any day! They are particularly well written, in a way which allows them to be used as quick reference material, once read thoroughly, and helpful to have with you on a shoot if you are just getting familiarized with these kinds of cameras.

His books aren't rammed with lot's of technical info. but have the most important practical information you will need once you're on set ( Setting-up monitors, back focusing, Camera menus etc..).

I have them both and strongly recomend them to you as well.

Tomas.

Guest fstop

The Wheeler HD book is far more informative than his digital book- the HD book even has a step by step guide to setting up an HD shoot and talks through the basics and essentials. However, I'm wondering if I am taking for granted the fact I read the digital book first- not so sure how well the HD book would hold up on it's own because Wheeler does reference the digital book quite a bit, and as a reader it makes you more involved (I found anyway).

• Premium Member

Hello Mike Williamson,

I just thought I would run this by you and you may or may not be interested.

I got an e-mail from the ASC Store yesterday concerning a new publication

by Jon Fauer ASC. Its entitled "Film and Digital Times" and will be published

as a newsletter 6 times per year. The e-mail says that each issue will be at

least 16 pages long. It will include information about film and digital technol-

ogies and techniques. It will include information about Mr. Fauer and is assoc-

iates and experiences with features,commercials,television projects. I'm gett-

ing ready to purchase his Arricam DVD and Arricam Book. Proceeds from these

books are donated to the ASC building and education fund. I believe price of

newsletter is $39.00 per year,I'm sorry I did not write it down. May be some

cents there. All info is available at the ASC website.

Greg Gross

Thanks everybody for posting, I think I may start with the "Hi-Def" book and see how it reads, sounds like it's basically what I'm looking for. Good to know where Wheeler stands with Panavision and Sony as well...

I got the email from AC on the upcoming digital newsletter as well, I'll have to look at it more closely. I've also got to pick up Fauer's Arri 35 book, it looks like I'll be working with a BL-4 on upcoming shoot, so hopefully that will help get me ready. I want the Storaro "Writer of Light" book too, so much to read...

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys !

I just read the topic cause i'm also looking for a book that is fully explaining HD as said Mike Williamson : I'm still trying to make sure I'm really understanding the basics of how the video signal works.

As him, i already read the two books written by Paul Wheeler. I've found them very interesting but i would like to go deeper or maybe in HD you don't have to know more than what Paul Wheeler write :unsure:

What about the American Cinematographer Video Manual, is it really worth it ? Mike ?

Are there any others books that are explaining HD camera and HD signal ?

I think not after what i've rode here :unsure:

Best Regards.