DV-5000 Users

Frank Prinzel

As a GY-DV5000 owner I would like to share tips and experiences with other users of this camera. If this topic appears elsewhere please point me in that direction. Thanks.

Here's a very interesting report on the DV-500 (DV5000 predecessor) by our fellow cinmatog.com alum Michael Morlan showing JVC GY-DV500 Exposure Tests. Look over his site while you're there- very nice.

DV500 Exposure tests

Edited by Frank Prinzel

Looking forward to your thoughts Patrick.

I've used the DV500's in heavy rotation for corporate work and my only complaint or obsevation is that one may want to invest in a Port-a-Brace cover and check your camera after some heavy use for loosening screws or hardware. I knew that the JVC's in general weren't the most robustly constructed units (including the D-9's) but the cost to picture quality/feature ratio was very good. With proper care and handling they are workhorses.

Hi,

Could you please tell me about the "High Rez Frame Mode"? I couldn't find any technical detail about it. Is it an advanced frame mode without vertical resolution loss?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Krix

Hope this helps Krix.

This is actually ?field integration? versus ?frame integration? modes of CCD scanning.

In ?video or field? mode the CCDs are allowed to charge for 1/60th second and then their information is tranfered out and they start to charge again for the next 1/60th second. Also we sum two rows of pixels for each line of the image. For field 1 we use row 1 and 2 aded together to make line 1. Also we use rows 3 and 4 added together to make line 3. For field 2 we use rows 2 and 3 added together to make line 2 and also row 4 added with row 5 to make line 4. And so on down the chip. The adding of the lines together gathers more light but doesn?t decrease vertical resolution as much as you would think. So if field integration you have vertical resolution of about 380, more light sentitivity, and less ?jaggies? as the lines

get added together.

The ?frame integration? is the mode that many think of. For field 1 we charge and read row 1 to be line 1 and row 3 to be line 3 etc. Then for filed 2 we charge and read row 2 to be line 2, row 4 to be line 4 etc on doen the chips. This has higher vertical resolution, lower sentitivity, and can show a bit more ?jaggies?.

Slow shutter:

The camera can be operated with a ?shutter? speed of 1/30, 1/15, and 1/7,5 second. Of course video cameras don?t actually have shutters and must still send a field image to be recorded every 1/60th second. So the camera basically ?holds? the image and then outputs that image as needed by the VTR timing. For example, a shutter speed of 1/15 second means that each of the 15 images in a second must have 4 fields recorded on the tape. So the image reads to a buffer every other second and that stored image is then recorded four times. So the image will have this stutter type motion.

The other aspect of this slow shutter is that the CCDs also charge longer. With a shutter of 1/15th the CCDs actually charge four times as long so more light is gathered. Notice something here ? At 1/30th of a second slow shutter the CCDs charge for 1/30th second instead of 1/60th, so the image tends to be a bit more blurred where there is motion. But he buffer builds the whole frame and then the frame is recorded out as a field at a time, but the fields don?t have the characteristic of a moving object being in one place during field 1 and another place during field 2 because the frame integrated together. This will be very similar to a progressive scan although not exactly the entire top to bottom 1/60th second scan that some may desire.

Edited by Frank Prinzel