Help Reloading Wittner Super-8 Cartridges

Harry Stevenson Miller

Hi,

I recently bought some bulk super 8 film from Wittner and a reloadable super-8 cartridge. And when practicing loading with dead film, I'm struggling to get the super-8 to run smoothly through my camera, as Wittner cartridges does not come with the copper ring used to keep the film in place.

I think they have replaced the copper ring with a clear plastic larger ring (seen in the photo, inside the cartridge on the right) that is suposed to keep the film (on the receiving side of the cartridge) in place some how?

Here is a photo of everything supplied with the cartridge: Picture39.png

Please could someone give me some advice on how to load these cartridges? I have seen some information on this forum about DIY reloadable cartridges but not the Wittner cartridges.

I hope this makes sense, Thanks in advance.

-Harry

There is no such thing as a copper ring and there should not be :)

http://www.filmkorn.org/konfektionierhilfe-fur-super-8-meterware/

(well, at least the photos -- or Google Translate?) might give you some hints on "how to make perfect 50ft windings in the dark" that you can fill in this cartridge. If you did not order WIttner's expensive plastic ring, you can take anything else (even a ring made of copper if you want) as aid to wind with the right diameter. Use a C-size battery cell as reference for the right diameter.

I always take the ring (or whatother aid you might use) out after I made the Winding and use a prepared snippet of masking tape to fix the ends of the film. You should absolutely practice filling the cart in bright light until you are absolutely safe to do so in the dark.

Note: Sacrifice an Agfa cartridge if oyu can get your hand on one. They are much easier to open and also last longer for refillings, since they have the better mechanics.

Hi,

I recently bought some bulk super 8 film from Wittner and a reloadable super-8 cartridge. And when practicing loading with dead film, I'm struggling to get the super-8 to run smoothly through my camera, as Wittner cartridges does not come with the copper ring used to keep the film in place.

I think they have replaced the copper ring with a clear plastic larger ring (seen in the photo, inside the cartridge on the right) that is suposed to keep the film (on the receiving side of the cartridge) in place some how?

Here is a photo of everything supplied with the cartridge: Picture39.png

Please could someone give me some advice on how to load these cartridges? I have seen some information on this forum about DIY reloadable cartridges but not the Wittner cartridges.

I hope this makes sense, Thanks in advance.

-Harry

The Wittner cartridge is actually a standard Kodak factory cartridge. If you buy a box you too can get them from Kodak.

The core is a plastic ring which sits at the centre of the supply roll to make it easier to handle and to prevent it from locking itself onto the hub and then render the remainder unusable. Don't go without it.

Edited by Andries Molenaar