4k Digital Projection at a higher refresh rate?

Sometimes digital projection looks just fine to me, depends on the subject matter & style of film. Other times, it's mismanaged, settings are messed up, and it looks too much like my home TV.

Went and saw "The Conjuring" last night at my local AMC. I knew this was shot on the Alexa, and I know the look of the Alexa well and what it's capable of. I assume they shot 24p, unless anyone has any data that suggests otherwise.

I noticed it immediately when the WB & New Line Cinema logos came up. The motion was video'y, somewhere between the 24fps look, and the high frame rate look of "The Hobbit". Similar to watching 24p content on a high refresh rate TV set. So that's what I assumed I was watching, a projector set to a higher refresh rate. I felt like I was watching the SyFy channel.

It's so bad, I'm writing a letter to AMC. I'm not at all interested in spending $12 to watch "public television" as QT would put it.

Has anyone else been noticing this?

After scanning the web for refresh rate answers, that same question entered my mind.

In the past, approaching theatre employees face to face has been pointless, because nobody there knows what I'm talking about when issues get technical.

Hopefully I can reach the right people. My only hopes are standards being raised at all AMC's, the more we speak out on the issues we have the better digital projection will get.