Best Tips and Tricks for working in the Arctic

David Bowsky

Hi!

I did a few searches around the board and didn't find too much, but I'm looking for some help with an upcoming job that will be my first time working in Arctic conditions. Gear package is pretty basic. 5D mkIII, 2 canon XF-100/105s, lots of Go-Pros, and a few consumer cams that have survived previous shoots.

If you guys can think of any threads I may have overlooked, I'd be more than happy to give them a read, same for blog posts or similar content elsewhere on-line. The job also involves long periods on the water; I have some familiarity there but any and all advice is always welcome.

Also, if you could pick the top 1-3 things you learned on an arctic job that you wish you had known before you left and would be so kind as to post them up I would be in your (probably beverage related) debt.

Thanks in advance everyone!

-- d

Edited by David Bowsky

Hi,

I am not qualified to speak as I have only one and that too brief visit to the sub zero climate of finland in winters. What I learnt from that trip was that the gloves should be good. I had a bit of difficulty in feeling the buttons as I had put on a thick gloves. I sure there would be good ones where the finger tips are thin. Do your research on warm clothing. And ofcourse, thermal undergarments. :)

The battery drains out fast, so need to be protected till the time you take them out.

Moving quickly into the car with heaters on results in condensation. If you can put the equipment in zip lock and then in camera bags before exposing them to sudden temperature difference then it would be good.

And I am sure your tripod is not bare. As the metal will be pretty cold.

These were basically the irritants, so I could immediately recall. I am sure you would have covered all these, nevertheless I thought of sharing.

Cheers,

Sabyasachi

Edited by Sabyasachi Patra