Alternative to briese light

I've been brought on late to the process with an upcoming commercial. Our director is in love with the idea of a Briese light (focusable parabolic umbrella) as the key light for a number of our set ups. Of couse, due to rental cost this basically destroys the lighting/grip budget and limits our ability to have more practical things like a doorway dolly.

I would rather have an HMI bounced into silver speckle with some rim lights and some support from makeup with a bit of shimmer powder or glycerine.

Any other suggestions to get 80% of the bresie look without the cost?

B2Pro makes a similar light...much cheaper but probably not 80%

If you want something very cheap; take an 8x frame and skin it with half grid. Then tape two sheets of foamcore together into an 8x8 and cut a large circle in the middle of the foamcore. Clip it to your 8x frame like a hard matte (black side facing the subject). Book light or push through an intermidiate diffusion to get an evenly lit, large, circular light source. If you want it softer...cut a bigger circle or move it closer.

Cheaper but slower...lots of stands.

I have bounced a 1.2k HMI off some ultrabounce through three frames with 1/4 diffusion in a sort of U shape wrapping around the talent. Its not exactly the Briese look, but I like the quality it gives to a female face.

Time is money, in all endevours. Do you have the time to spend experimenting on you own time, so the Director can save a bunch of money then take credit for getting the look the client was after? Did the conversation go something like, "Angelo, we don't have the budget, I know you can pull off this look somehow. Work on it before the shoot I'll make it up to you on the next job, I promise." Director gets all the accolades and "high fives" for getting it right, Director becomes forgetful when the next time rolls around.

It's not nearly as precise, versatile or cool looking but I have a 8 ft Westcott parabolic that costs about $100 bucks and makes a beautiful soft key. Comes in white and silver I believe. Easts lots of light. I regularly bounce multiple sources into it.