LA driving scenic (b-roll) shot examples?

goro toshima

hi all,

i'm planning on shooting some driving shots of Pico Blvd--b-roll for a documentary in which

LA (and Pico blvd, in particular) is a 'character'.

i'd like to do something interesting, outside of the basic driving b-roll shot.

can anybody think of any examples for other movies where a driving b-roll shot

was done in an interesting way?

thanks for any suggestions.

goro

• Premium Member

I suppose what to shoot will depend on what your documentary is about. Having just spend 2 days doing this in a car through WEHO on a 5DMKIII I can say that I really enjoy the interplay of light during night driving and how wonderful traffic and lights can look when thrown way out of focus-- especially on the 24mm and 135mm L series lenses I was tending towards.

I also like the drive Northbound on 110 to Pasadena through the tunnels.

• Upvote 1

I suppose what to shoot will depend on what your documentary is about. Having just spend 2 days doing this in a car through WEHO on a 5DMKIII I can say that I really enjoy the interplay of light during night driving and how wonderful traffic and lights can look when thrown way out of focus-- especially on the 24mm and 135mm L series lenses I was tending towards.

I also like the drive Northbound on 110 to Pasadena through the tunnels.

thanks adrian...the film is basically about food and LA. and the stretch of pico from central LA to the westside is a good example of the diversity of LA as seen through the different food options. so basically, we're doing daytime shooting and are trying to show the storefronts. i'm thinking about rigging car, doing one long take, and perhaps in post ask editor to use twixor to highlight certain areas...but i'd love to figure out other interesting options.

• Premium Member

Might be interesting if you also got some shots of the big farmers markets (driving or not driving) and maybe even see if you can find any kind of garden overlooking the skyline (hell you could take a nice ripe tomato plant up to the Angele national forest and get an interesting shot of tomato in forground growing and DTLA in bg faking it like you're in some big farm or something).

I also really love all the Taco trucks, especially at night how they all light up like mad. Not 100% sure where a lot of them are, but they always look pretty amazing when you drive by them.