Need battery housing for Nikon R8/R10

David Nethery

Recently acquired a Nikon R8 at an estate sale , seems to be clean and in good shape , but NO BATTERY HOLDER so I can't power it on to see if it works !!! :o

Does anyone have a spare battery holder for sale ?

This is it:

Nikon_R8_R10_Battery.jpg

I'm thinking I may need to watch eBay for a non-functional Nikon R8 or R10 being sold cheap -- as-is "For Parts" to salvage the battery holder as long as it's clean and not corroded.

Edited by David Nethery

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. It's just that those go for a serious premium. Your best bet it buying a used dead nikon, but then you face the likely prospect of bad contacts.

"Serious premium" = $ ________ ? What price are we talking about for the battery holder ? $40 ? $50 ?

You're probably right that a dead Nikon sold "as-is For Parts" on eBay is likely going to be my best bet , but if one like that comes up I'll ask the seller for a photo of the battery holder to see if it looks clean .

Hi,

if you want to test your camera before trying to get a battery holder, then why don't you simply attach an external power source?

BTW: there are tons of different battery-holders as spare parts for R/C cars. DIY electronics, ..., e.g. http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/615587/ ...maybe you should visit one of the stores and ask them whether they've got a matching holder?

I would try http://www.super8film.at/en_index.htm , http://www.kinotechnikrinser.de/ etc. as they've also got spare parts.

Jörg

I've been quoted $70 to $100 numerous times. And I never paid. Not gonna happen.

That does seem excessively high for a battery holder , but I guess it's about supply (rare) and demand . Since I got the camera for a very low price I would have to tell myself that purchasing the battery holder to get the camera up and running means I paid out around $70 - to - $100 (or slightly more) to get a working Nikon R8 , which sounds better than saying "I paid $70 - $100 for a battery holder" ).

Of course that is ASSUMING it does work . Cosmetically it looks good , very clean , well cared for , stored in a nice camera case , but until I get the batteries in it I don't know if it actually runs. I could try Jörg's suggestion of attaching an external battery pack to see if it will power up , but I know nothing about electronics or soldering , so I'd be fearful of frying the camera's internal electronics if I messed up ...

The R8 takes a button cell for the lightmeter. Check the housing. The battery tester should indicate if it has power.

R8 R10 are notories for stuck EE systems. I.e. the actuator lands in hard grease and cannot untangle itself.

You can hear the thing humming then :(

Connecting an external powersource isn't that easy as plugging a cable.

You need to supply 0, 4.5 and 9 volt to the pads in the grip roof where the clips touches them...

Testing is recommended!

Aw nuts :wacko: ! ... my eBay saved search email alert notified me of "Nikon R10 - Not Working For Parts Only" , and my heart leapt up , only to be dashed when I see this photo of the battery pack . Arrghhhh ...

Corroded_Nikon_Battery_Pack.jpg

I don't know if this could be cleaned and restored . I'm afraid the corrosion has probably eaten through the springs and they'll pop off as soon as I start scrubbing with a toothbrush and baking soda .

What a shame ...

Well , I will keep looking .

If you live in LA there is a camera repair shop that can make an external power supply for a Nikon R10 or R8 and also repair corroded battery holders. They were recommended by an employee at Yale Film and Video. Check it out.

Photo Center,

7961 Beverly Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90048

Edited by Richard Hadfield

If you live in LA there is a camera repair shop that can make an external power supply for a Nikon R10 or R8 and also repair corroded battery holders. They were recommended by an employee at Yale Film and Video. Check it out.

Photo Center,

7961 Beverly Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90048

Richard,

Thanks for the tip. I'll contact them.

-D

• 9 years later...

Contacts as spare parts for repairing battery compartments/holders are also available in various shapes, e.g.

https://retroreiz.de/shop/werkstatt/ersatzteile-fuer-game-gear/batteriefach-kontakt-fuer-sega-game-gear/

https://retroreiz.de/shop/werkstatt/ersatzteile-fuer-gameboy-color/batteriefach-kontakt-fuer-gameboy-color/

So even replacing the corroded contacts in an otherwise fine Nikon holder might be an option.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:26 AM, Mark Dunn said:

Maybe so.

But 10 years ago, when the thread started...........?

?

Uh. Of course. Just trying to add some thoughts and life to a thread that people can still stumble across.

• Like 1