when I project super 8 film it is images are upside down

Phillip Mitchell

Hi, not sure if I have posted to correct forum, hopefully someone can assit me.

I am going through my late father's super 8 and normal 8 films.

One reel I have come across shows the film upside down when I project it with his EUmig S905.

I thought I could rewind it onto another reel to solve problem, no good.

Lead in tape writing is on otherside away from me, yet perfortated holes and audio strip are correct way around. i.e perforated holes are correct way to feed into projector, How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance

Phil

The 'correct' way round for 8mm ( or 16mm ) film going into a projector is like this....

The perforations edge should be nearest you and if you viewed the images coming off the reel, they should be upside down.

Any other way will have been filmed like it.

Do all the films project like that or just that one reel ?

John S

The 'correct' way round for 8mm ( or 16mm ) film going into a projector is like this....

The perforations edge should be nearest you and if you viewed the images coming off the reel, they should be upside down.

John S

Hi John, thanks for reply, no only this film, it is as Grant suggests on next post, somehow film has been put on reel wrong way sometime in past.

Thanks Grant I follow what you suggest and see if this fixes things,

Cheers Phil

John S

Hi John, thanks for reply, no only this film, it is as Grant suggests on next post, somehow film has been put on reel wrong way sometime in past.

Thanks Grant I follow what you suggest and see if this fixes things,

Cheers Phil

ps update

I am hand winding using projectors rewind feature without power, I have flipped film I think 180 degrees, where sound strip is now facing down, well as I look at it as I wind it onto empty reel and perforated edge is still on my right as I look from behind camera. The sound stripe on orginal reel I am winding from, sound strip is facing up.

Am I doing this right?

I think so as it explains why orginal reel the film at the end of reel is bending or looping away and not towards projector as other reels do. I'd imagine because it would of been wounded up like this for many years, film was taken in 1968 of me and my brothers etc as kids hence why I don't want to loose it.

Edited by Phillip Mitchell

Ah-ha.... in that case Phillip, your father's been doing some 'trick photography'.

If you shoot with the camera held upside down, you can flip the film ( upside down in projection ) to get 'backwards' motion !

John S :D