Cinematography Apprenticeship in UK

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm looking to further my career in cinematography and was wondering if you could help me as I'm trying to find (if there is any) an apprentice scheme in the UK to be mentored by a cinematographer or a few cinematographers?

Just thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone has been involved or knows of any schemes, etc.

Cheers All

James Ian Gray

• Premium Member

Hi James!

Did you see the thing BECTU put out recently about mentoring schemes? The idea was there might be something at some point, but I'm not aware there's anything formal at the moment.

And also, I'm not sure I'd be that willing to encourage anyone to go into it as a career in this part of the world. All too often, interning or mentoring just ends up meaning work for free.

P

an apprentice scheme in the UK to be mentored by a cinematographer or a few cinematographers?

I don't believe that an 'apprentice' scheme would be any more successful or relevant than the many film schools who churn out countless new 'DPs' every year.

The way to learn your craft is by doing it, and that generally means starting at the bottom in the camera dept, working your way up and learning from everyone you meet.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Thanks Phil and Stuart,

Indeed am working my way up through the ranks just wondering if there was a way to get more experience and learn more about the science and how to look at it in a story way rather than a technical way from an assistants point of view.

By-the-way sorry for the late reply been manic here working all over the place.

On the other hand indeed apprenticship does mean freebee work and in some way yes I'd be more than happy to watch and shadow for free. Although if a DP turns to me and tells me to do a shot I'd be honnoured (underqualified) but would think, I'm not really getting paid for this.... Although on the other hand if I go into making short films, etc. Then the same would have to be said again, I'll be doing it for free or for little next to nothing as well. There just isn't any money anywhere. :-(

But I think I'll stick to my day job of DIT and assisting for now.

Although I've made a blog about my learnings so far, hehehe:

http://www.jamesiangray.com/Blog/

Let me know what you think if you have chance to look at it.

Cheers all for the replies. :o)

Cheers

James Ian Gray

http://www.jgrayonline.com

just wondering if there was a way to get more experience and learn more about the science and how to look at it in a story way rather than a technical way from an assistants point of view.

James, I think you'll find that as you gain more experience on set as an AC, you'll need to spend less time concentrating on your job, and have more time to watch what the operator and DP are doing creatively. Certainly, if/when you step up to Operating, you'll find the job is much more of a creative role, although there are still a lot of technical elements. Everything you learn on set can be applied to your own projects and to anything else that you shoot in your own time.

• Premium Member

As always, I simply wonder if there are really any positions for people to step up to in this country. We need a dozen directors of photography, maybe fewer than that. Is there really the work to support anyone else?

P