Fast & Furious 7

I remember reading an interview with Stephen F. Windon, ACS where he stated that he had shown Justin Lin tests with 35mm film, Alexa, and Epic and he preferred film out of all of them. James Wan seems like he wouldn't share that same opinion. And while I'm only basing this on his past work, he and his DP John R. Leonetti, ASC have been shooting on Alexa lately with The Conjuring and Insidious: Chapter 2. And while Stephen F. Windon will be staying on as DP for Fast 7, I wonder if Wan will allow him to shoot film, or have him shoot digitally. There were some set photos released recently, but as per usual, you can't see what they're shooting with.

Ultra Primes are PL mount so cant use them on Panaflex ,hence Arricams . Panavision UK did supply the camera equipment for this production.

I heard something about Panavision UK no longer supplying Panaflex cameras due to low demand. Didn't think it was true though.

• Premium Member

Steve and crew has employed Otto Nemenz for F7. They are using Alexas and Master Primes. I know this only because I usually am Steve's key 1st AC (since the mid 1990s). I had to pass on this project due to taking the key 1st AC job on INTERSTELLAR. I was still involved with helping him crew this current project. I hear its going very well.

G

Steve and crew has employed Otto Nemenz for F7. They are using Alexas and Master Primes. I know this only because I usually am Steve's key 1st AC (since the mid 1990s). I had to pass on this project due to taking the key 1st AC job on INTERSTELLAR. I was still involved with helping him crew this current project. I hear its going very well.

G

Rob Vogt told me the other day that they employed Panavision and are using Panavision Primo's for the film. Weird. But anyway, would you happen to know why Mr. Windon used Ultra Primes instead of Panavision Primo's for FF6? Also, will they be using any other lenses such as Angenieux/Fujinon zooms, etc.?

Rob Vogt told me the other day that they employed Panavision and are using Panavision Primo's for the film. Weird. But anyway, would you happen to know why Mr. Windon used Ultra Primes instead of Panavision Primo's for FF6? Also, will they be using any other lenses such as Angenieux/Fujinon zooms, etc.?

Also, how's Interstellar going? I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes out. Any idea what series(s) of Panavision anamorphic lenses Hoyte van Hoytema is using on the film?

Ultra Primes are PL mount so cant use them on Panaflex ,hence Arricams . Panavision UK did supply the camera equipment for this production.

Did you work on Fast 6 John?

They were shooting this over the road from me and it was the biggest shoot I have ever seen in my life!

It dwarfed the BBC commercial I saw shot which in turn dwarfed the Guy Ritchie Shoot.

I remember I got home and had some strange thing where I had to lie on the floor as I was starting to pass out.

Now starting to wonder if these things weren't unrelated!

Mind blowing.

Freya

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yeah, the FAST movies are terrific jobs. And you're right Freya, they are big. I've worked the A camera on the first unit on 3 of them including the USA portion of "6". The cinematographer, Steve Windon is not only a terrific cameraman but he's a wonderful guy who makes coming to work a joy. I've had the privilege of working with him since the mid '90s and "Deep Blue Sea". It was a tough decision not to do "7" with him which is currently filming. But it was time for a change of pace and Chris Nolan was calling. Chris is a very different experience yet very rewarding. I'm just grateful to be in a position to have to make those kind of choices. I'll never take that for granted!

Cheers,

G

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Actually John, Chris is very much a cinematographer even if he isn't getting the credit for it. He is the driving force behind the lensing style. He is extremely educated in the craft. Having said that, Hoyte, who is the cinematographer is a very good talent. He is a minimal lighter with a straight forward approach without drama. I like him. This is our 2nd movie together - THE FIGHTER being the first. He will go far.

G

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the purpose for Alexa XTs instead of Kodak 35mm for them to say (mockfully) "Hey, we want to make sure film stays dead", or is it because the Alexas enable the filmmakers to do several things that they wouldn't be able to do with the Arricam and Arriflex cameras from Fast and Furious 6? How exactly can they get that film look if people like to say that "Digital footage looks too clean and isn't painting with light and shadow". The reason why The Amazing Spider Man sequel is shooting in 35mm instead of the Red Epics like the first one is because, as one of my friends stated, the first one looked too clean. Just how will Mr. Stephen F. Windon obtain that film look from something that isn't film?

• 1 month later...

I wonder how they're going to finish the film with one of the main stars dead.

It really sucks.

I was originally quite sad that the usual filmaking team weren't working on Fast 7 but now I'm glad they will have their minds elsewhere. I'm sure this is going to be bad enough for them already.

I feel really bad for James Wan. I know he was hoping this was going to be his big break away from the horror genre but now he is faced with the really difficult task of working on a movie where a key actor has died in a car related accident and he is making a movie full of fast cars crashing. That's not going to be good for the psyche. I reallly hope they are close to finishing it.

I'll be honest. I took a liking to the fast team as when they were filming here they put up little signs saying Fast6, as if to say "Hiya everyone, we are just visiting and we are making Fast6". It seemed like they just had a great attitude and weren't caught up in their own self importance. In contrast a recent big movie shooting in the same area, shut down the entire block for days and the opposite canal towpath that overlooks the unitbase (in case anyone might see them I guess) and "urbanised" up the area adding extra graffiti and the like, and they didn't exactly leave the area as they found it lets say. Really annoyed a lot of people localy with the way they handled things.

While "fast car movies" aren't something I seek out, I took a liking to the way Fast6 handled things, they seemed like a gang with a good attitude, so I'm sad such a thing has happened and my condolences go out to all those that are feeling the effects of what has happened right now.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

Actually, many of the same Fast Team are there. Same producers, DP and many of the camera team are there. No one quite knows what the next move for them is yet. Having worked on 3 of the Fast movies, I can say from experience that Paul was a kind gentleman. It is a very sad time for all who had the privilege to know him.

• Upvote 1

I can say from experience that Paul was a kind gentleman. It is a very sad time for all who had the privilege to know him.

I'm hearing a lot of people saying that.

Heres a cool photo that shows the kind of attitude I'm talking about, looks like they are all having fun:

BaLo3XfCUAEkPch.png-large.png

Is that table held up with film cans?! ;)

Freya

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I'm hearing a lot of people saying that.

Heres a cool photo that shows the kind of attitude I'm talking about, looks like they are all having fun:

BaLo3XfCUAEkPch.png-large.png

Is that table held up with film cans?! ;)

Freya

Now I'm choked up...

I just don't believe it. Even still. You can give me all the evidence you want. I'm still gonna believe its a hoax. And yet, it's not. I don't even know the man, I've never even seen any of his films outside of the 3 F&F movies I've seen other than Into The Blue and yet, I'm saddened by his loss. I can't even imagine what his daughter, who is about the same age as me, is feeling. I didn't have the luxury of having a dad who cared for me, but I do have a mother who does. And if I lost her, I wouldn't know what I'd do.

• 1 year later...