Which Camera would You use?

Tony Castro

Sept 15, 2013

I want to shoot my first feature next year. The script is dated thus taking place in the late 50's early 60's.

(I will not be the camera person because I rather get an experience cinematoghrapher.)

Question: In your opinion, which camera / format would fair best for shooting 50's 60's scenes & night time scenes? Also, which lenses would you recommend?

* * Thank you all for sharing your expertise & for your replys * *

Tony

doowopkid56@yahoo.com

Edited by Tony Castro

• Premium Member

A lot of that is going to depend upon your budget and the style of film you want to make-- I would recommend finding your DoP and speaking with them about how you want the film to look and feel, discuss how much money you have, and time, and what your post situation is like and they will be able to help you narrow down the right camera or cameras lens or lenses to use.

• Premium Member

It's not the camera; it's the lenses, film stock and transfer. And of course the art direction more than anything. The set has got to look like it's from the 50's before you can film it like it was.

Perhaps you can look into a combination of old lenses and new digital cameras. Might save you some money if you're not familiar with 35mm work flow.

• Upvote 1