canon scoopic 16m

bruce collier

hello everyone!!! i'm new to this forum so here goes...I have a scoopic 16m and occasionally when you first activate the shutter the camera runs really fast for a second or two then goes to normal speed. it seems to do it more at 24fps but I have noticed it at other speeds as well and sometimes while i'm shooting it will speed up as well....I have recently had it serviced at du-all camera and when I sent it to them it had a slight flicker problem, but obviously it has got worse...has anyone else experienced this with a scoopic????

• Premium Member

Could your camera possibly have a little red light on the side and a crystal sync mod? Sounds like it's trying to get up to speed or adjusting to meet the crystal sync. I have an MS with crystal sync and I've noticed that from time to time. But it shouldn't speed up while running, just a the start there might be a surge.

Du-All are good folks, I'd check with them or send it to Bernie at Super 16, Inc. for an inspection. Sometimes with these cameras it's cheaper to buy another one.

thanks for the reply...I know that it does not have crystal sync, it's really funny the way the camera acts, it started out as a flicker I could notice when I would project my films made with it and now it's got worse and doing this crazy speed thing...I probably will have to send it back to du-all and maybe they can get to the bottom of it, I was hoping someone has had this experience with one of these cameras before...I hate to part with this camera because if you seen it you would think it was new, other than the age of it, and also I know my batteries are good too because they have been recelled with ni-mh cells.....

• Premium Member

Scoopics are a real bear to work on. When you adjust one thing, it effects everything down the line so getting flicker out is really hard. They weren't meant for precision, just reliability. I think they were mostly used to shoot football games and b-roll for news gathering. They are great cameras for home movies for sure, just about the easiest film camera to load ever made.

You can see some flicker issues in one of my Scoopics here:

My solution was to pick up an SR. Shot at the same spot this summer with absolutely zero flicker in the skies.

wow, that to me is wonderful footage, I just wish mine was half as good as yours...even before the crazy speed problem my flicker was awful, even when setting exposure manually....I have a bolex rex 1 and I love that camera except for the winding, that's why I bought the scoopic. I am thinking maybe the problem lies somewhere in the circuit board, the filming amp to be exact. I have a work manual and the schematic shows an integrated circuit on the board that is part of the filming motor's feedback control, along with diodes, resistors and such. that IC has transistors made into it and maybe one of those is bad or something, anyways I think off to du-all it goes......hopefully they have experience repairing the boards if necessary....thanks for the replies...

• Premium Member

wow, that to me is wonderful footage, I just wish mine was half as good as yours...

Thanks.

You might want to consider just buying another one; repair on those would be costly and you could pick up the latest MS model for around $500-$650 already film tested with new batteries.

• Premium Member

I've been pretty lucky on eBay in general but I've also built in the cost of having cameras serviced when I buy them. Often they have been sitting for 30 years in an attic and could use a little love. I've had three MS's an one rare MN which I think was for the Japanese market.

They really are about the easiest 16mm camera out there to operate. Plus the lens is surprisingly sharp; I've had many colorists comment on that over the years. Love the built-in metering when I'm on the go or shooting sports.

• 6 years later...

Hey There,

Jordan here, I have a Canon Scoopic M in fairly beat up condition, however the motor runs at all speeds and the light meter works. My trouble is the lens, is there a way to take off the front element to clean out the fungus? I took it to a guy who was trained by Canon in Australia during the 60's and he wasn't able to take apart the lens, is there something to it?

While i'm here, is there a way to pull apart the viewfinder to clean?

Cheers

Jordan