Canon 60D Question

Jesse Varas

Hey Guys,

I've been having some issues with a video I am working on. I am shooting a short inside a 747 simulator for work. It is a simple set-up, I have 2 umbrella lights with 105watts bulbs in them in the back. In the front I have a small china lantern with a 200-watt bulb in it. I am shooting with a Canon 60D and a wide zoom lens 10-22mm with an aperture of 3.5.

The lighting is flat, but its bright which is what my employer wants as it is an instructional video for pilots. Everything is okay except when I get the content of the monitors in the sim the image shown on the actual monitors (plane information) looks like it flickers. I tried adjusting shutter speed, ISO and f/stop but nothing changed.

It really affects the viewing. I was wondering if anybody knew a solution, maybe a setting inside the camera that I can change, a frequency or something. I'd be very grateful for any feedback.

Jesse Varas

They are pretty new actually. The thing is, my predecessor recorded with a 60D before and they didn't have that problem. I need to test out with different shutter speeds.

I also thought focal length might have something to do with it.

No problem. That's what the forums are here for.

I don't have my 60D handy at the moment, but you might want to try shooting at 60 FPS instead of 30. A faster frame rate means less time for the scan line to be visible.

Magic lantern is great! I feel lost without it now.